Chapter Eleven: Laurie

Laurie's POV:

            "Oh please stop the noise... babe... make it stop..." Ginger groaned into her pillow. Looking over at her I muffled my giggle.

            "What noise baby?" Lifting her head she looked back at me and cringed at the sunlight barely streaming through the curtains.

            "It's like somebody is playing the bass drums...boom,boom... boom,boom... it won't stop." She sobbed into the pillow yanking the comforter back over her head. Boom, boom? Pull the corner down I got a whiff of beer and vomit. Rearing back I waited until my eyes stop burning before speaking.

            "Ginger that isn't a bass drum. It's your heart. It's time to get up." I said hopping off the bed. She lay there for a few more minutes before I snatched the comforter off her and ran out the room.

            "Wakey wakey! Sausage eggs and bacon!" I yelled running down the hall.

            "Please don't mention food!" She moaned sliding head under the pillow. When I made it down stairs Ms. Thomas was already cooking a feast and laying it out for us.

            "Good morning!" I sung as I hopped onto a stool. Smiling Ms. Thomas handed me a glass of juice.

            "I see you aren't dealing with the effects of last night's party." Taking a couple sips I returned the smile.

            "I had sense to stay away from the beer." Lumbering in from the living room Sean dropped into a chair at the kitchen table and lay his head on the cool surface.

            "Not enough sleep." He mumbled. After him Bryant stumbled in then Megan who looked like she'd taken a trip on the crazy train with Ozzy.

            "I need a pot of strong coffee with a straw... and dry toast... I mean uber dry... like the freaking Sahara." Megan croaked. Sliding off my stool I grabbed Megan a coffee cup and a couple slices of toast. By the first bite of his food Bryant was back to him old self. Sean on the other hand fell asleep on the table.

            "You probably should wake Mildred up." Ms. Thomas said to Bryant. Pushing back from the table he was about to stand when Megan waved him back down.

            "She isn't in there. I woke up and she was gone already." She said with a mouth full of toast. Looking back at Bryant Ms. Thomas gave him a reassuring smile.

            "Maybe she went to get her insulin." She said. From the looks they were giving one another I could tell they were both worried. After that Bryant didn't seem to have an appetite anymore. Twenty minutes later Ginger finally made it down stairs. She didn't even look at the food. Once she sat down at the table Ms. Thomas kindly placed the trash bin next to her for just in case.

            "I can't believe Julia's still sleeping." Ms. Thomas said plating up the last of the pancakes. Just as if cued Julia came crashing through the back door windblown and grinning.

            "Silly mother sleep is for... well apparently Sean... We've been out doing a bit of girl bonding." She said snatching up a few strips of bacon.

            "We?" Nodding Julia went to stand by the door.

            "Introducing the new but old Mildred Evan." We all turned to the door to see Mildred peek around the corner. She stood at the door staring at her shoes for a minute before looking up at us. Instead of her harsh bottle blond locks she was now a chestnut brunette. She let her eyes meet everyone saving Bryant for last.