Animegas Unite

I sat in silence. I half expected to see Max running through the front door. A bright light appeared in that door. Lady Sylva stood there.

Her dress was torn and dirty. Cuts and bruises covered her body. Her kind eyes looked weary. I broke down and ran over to the Guardian. She caught me with open arms and stood silently as I cried like a pathetic baby.

"You've done more than I could ever ask, Samantha." she said when I stopped crying. "I never would have dreamed they would come here."

"Why did they take him?" I asked.

Sylva shook her head. "Even us Guardians have our limits. I do not have the slightest clue why they would take young Animegas. All we know is that they all have one thing in common, the children had their Animas day recently before their capture."

I sat down in a chair and cradled my knees to my chest. Sylva stood in front of me.

"Samantha, you have to save the children. Not just your brother. I fear they are planning something that may endanger the younglings. You are very special, though you may not know it yet."

"I have one of the simplest of the gifts." I said, "There is nothing special about being able to move a few plants at will."

She smiled. "Simple, yes. But it is far from useless. People like you are closer to being like the Guardians than you think. Us Guardians were the first Animagas after Megan. Animegas like you are the most powerful. The only thing holding you back is yourselves."

I looked down, ashamed. She was right, I was holding myself back.

"The Guardians have picked a select few Animegas to help find the missing younglings. I have gladly picked you. I am a bit sorry to put so much pressure on you, but you shall lead them. They don't have much experience at fighting the Furies as you do."

"But...Lady Sylva." I said, "I only killed one. And he was reckless and cocky. I wouldn't really call that experience."

"It had already been decided by the Council. I'm sorry Samantha, but you were the best option. Your team is waiting outside...do try to succeed."

She lead me outside, three people stood in front of my shack.  

Sylva motioned to a girl of about 12 years of age, who was bouncing in front of me. She had silvery-blue eyes and light, curly blonde hair. "This is Katie. Her Animega is a sparrow, and she can control air!" I smiled and nodded.  

Then she nodded towards a boy of about 10 years old, who was looking down. His blond hair stood up on end like lightning had struck him. His eyes were kind of a hazel-yellow. "This is Greg."she chirped. "His Animega is a snake. He can also control lightning."

Then Sylva introduced  the third guy. His eyes were a silvery color and he had midnight- black hair. He looked kind of nervous. "And this is Thomas. His Animega is a snow leopard. And can control ice." Thomas gave me a small smile.

"Well," I said, slinging my bow over my shoulder, “I'm Sam, my Animega is a fox, and I can control plants." Sylva squeezed my shoulder reassuringly and disappeared. "Alright everyone." I said. "We'll rest here for the night to prepare and leave early tomorrow."

I walked into the shack and they followed. I uncovered the garden and made as many plants grow as I could. Katie offered to help me dry them and I went to go check my traps. I got a few small animals.

Katie talked to me the entire time I skinned the small creatures. I taught Greg how to mush Salus berries into a paste and we put it into wood containers. And I caught Thomas staring at me a couple of times.

We all slept peacefully and woke up early the next morning. We packed food, water and everything else we needed. The 4 of us headed west, that was the direction I saw the General Furie fly away with my brother.

We all had something in common, our siblings were taken. Katie lost her little sister, Greg his twin sister and Thomas both his brother and sister. I was the only one to actually kill one of the Furies. We walked about 30 miles before we stopped to rest.

I covered us with the trees and started a fire. We ate and told a few jokes. Thomas took first watch and the rest of us slept peacefully.