Chapter 16, Memories

• Dedicated to Luna Minnaar

So, as promised here is ANOTHER chapter! Thanks so much for your patience!

Chapter 16, Memories

Uh oh. That was the only thing on my mind as Esme first came in. With behind her Carlisle, who was still wearing his white lab coat. Carlisle sighed as he looked at the principal.

"What did they do this time?" He didn't even await the principal's answer, before saying:. "Emmett, don't tell me you flooded the bathrooms again? Or did Jasper throw a ball through a window?" He said as he took a seat beside me. Maybe the chair was too big and that I somehow disappeared in it. The principal cleared his throat. Carlisle snapped back to reality and looked at me. His eyebrows nearly disappeared in his honey colored hair.

"Evenlyn?" Esme's voice was filled with disbelief. My cheeks turned an awfully red color so I looked at my hands.

"Mr. and Mrs. Cullen, Evenlyn here was giving a fellow student a lecture and let me tell you, it wasn't very friendly. She was bullying students and I can't tolerate that." He spoke as if he enjoyed my humiliation.

"I'm sorry, that can't be right?" Esme gave me a confused look.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Cullen, the janitor saw her." Now it was Carlisle's turn to give me a look. "I can imagine she is.... fragile after what happened to her, but maybe you could better take her to a psychiatrist." I hissed at him.

"Excuse me?" Carlisle said and his eyes were giving the principal a hard time.

"Well.. uhm.." The principal stuttered. I was NOT mentally ill! Esme gave him a charming look.

"We'll take her home and talk to her, right, Evenlyn?" She said and I just had to nod. The principal nodded blindly, he looked relieved.

"Well, if you could excuse me, I have surgery waiting. Evenlyn, children, I'll see you all at home." Carlisle spoke and I could hear the little threat between his words.

"Uhm, then, children, go back to your classes." The principal said. My parents stood up. All the others scattered away. Esme took my hand and pushed me out of the office. In silence Carlisle, Esme and I walked together to the parking lot. Carlisle gave Esme a brief kiss and got in his black Mercedes but not without smiling at me.

Just before he closed his door he closed his door he spoke to me: "This is the millionth time we've done this. See you both later." He shook as his head as he started the car. I couldn't help but smirk at him and climbed into the back of Esme's Audi. Esme started the car. She looked at me in the mirror.

"If I may ask, what exactly did you say to the boy?" I told her everything. She chuckled. "Well, I think he deserved that. Now let's have some girl time." And she pulled up in front of the house. I hopped out of the car. I grabbed my backpack and pulled it out of the car. Esme was already inside as I entered the house. I flopped down on the white, clean couch. Esme came out of the kitchen holding a cup of tea. Gratefully I took it. She sat down next to me. She looked at me as I took a sip of the hot tea.

"Evenlyn?" I looked up at her. "Can you.. tell me about your mother?" I gave her a confused look. "Just because I am your new... mother doesn't mean I don't want to know about your own mother." I was flabbergasted for a moment.

"Uhm.. yeah, sure. But I warn you, I don't remember much though. Well, my mother is like a prettier version of me. She's tall, blond like me and had the prettiest blue eyes I had ever seen. I remember how when I was younger I would grab one of her blond curls and gently pull it. I remember the loving, adoring look in her eyes whenever she'd look at me. Oh, I also remember how we used to bake apple pies together when my dad wasn't home." A shadow crossed my face. "Well, actually, she made the pie and I just watched. But when my dad came home, from the bar or pub, the whole atmosphere and mood in the house would change. My mom would give him the beer we wanted, order pizza for him whenever his disgusting friends came over to play poker. It was horrible. But when my mother finally escaped from him everything changed. He didn't even come after her! She spent loads of time with me doing whatnot. It's a shame I can't remember. I went to school and made some friends. Once I came home from a friend's house and there my mom was. On a gurney. In a black body bag. Never more I'd see those wondrous blue eyes again. It was as if my whole world collapsed. I was forced to move back with my dad. Well and you know what happened after that." Esme took my hand in hers. I gave her a slight smile.

"What was her name?" She asked. I was surprised.

"My mother's name? Meadow..." Esme frowned slightly.

"Isn't that...?" I finished her sentence for her.

"My daughter's name? Yes. I thought that I had to do at least something.." It was my turn to not finish my sentence.

"To remind her. Of course, I think she would have loved that." I smiled at her appreciatively.

"Thank you. You don't know how much it means to me.." She waved my thank you away.

"I'd do anything for you all, my children. Even though you aren't biologically mine, I do see you as my child." I know she was trying not to upset or offend me.

"Thank you." I said and tried to swallow the thick lump in my throat. I heard cars on the driveway. Esme smirked.

"There's the rest of the gang." She got up. "Let's hear what they have to say." I could already hear Emmett and Jasper arguing.

"No way, Carlisle looked way too pissed. I bet for 200 that he'll kick her ass." Jasper shot back at him. The door burst open and all the others came in.

"Uh, no way. Dude, he wasn't mad at me the first time I flooded the toilets." Jasper rolled his eyes.

"But the million times after that he was. You weren't allowed to use your car. Or watch TV. Or use your phone." Emmett smacked Jasper on the back of his head.

"Boys, no hitting in my house." Esme scolded them.

Renesmee came up to me and whispered in my ear: "I've got your back." I nodded and smiled at her. Edward shook his head at someone's thoughts. Jasper sat down on the other end of the couch.

"Don't worry, we won't let him snap your throat." A shiver went down my spine. Sometimes it wasn't hard to forget they were vampires. Edward rolled his eyes.

"Boys, she's not going to die or something! You dad will be reasonable, you know that. Emmett. Jasper." Esme both gave them a look. They both muttered a quick sorry. Emmett turned on the TV and went to the sports channel. In no time everyone was doing something. Renesmee went up to her room and Edward was playing the piano. Alice and Rosalie were on the couch with a sketchbook. I wanted to read something. I decided to send Edward a message.

Edward, uhm, where can I find some books? The piece that he was playing upstairs stopped. There was a little breeze and he was next to me.

"Come with me." He said and took me upstairs and opened the door of their bedroom. I hadn't been here before. Inside Bella was sitting in a comfortable looking chair with a book on her lap. She didn't even look up as we entered. I bet she already heard us coming. The entire left wall of the room was covered in books.

"Pick a book." Edward said and left. I took a hesitant step forward. I hadn't been close with Bella. I didn't even know if she liked me. I walked over to the bookshelves. My fingers touched the spines of the books. My eyes rested on Romeo and Juliet. I took it and was about to leave the room silently without disturbing Bella.

"You can sit here if you want too?" She said, looking up from her book. She patted on the comfortable chair next to her.

"Thanks." I said surprised as I sat down. She smiled at me.

"Good choice." She said, eyeing my book. I blushed a little. She focused on her book. Soon I was lost in the story and forgot everything. We both read in a comfortable silence. Much later we were disturbed, or I was because Bella didn't even look up, by a knock on the door. The door went open and Carlisle came in. Oops.

"Evenlyn, would you mind coming with me for a little chat? In private please, Bella, I'm sure you can take care of that." Bella nodded and closed her book. Nervously I stood up. My hands were shaking a little as I climbed the stairs to his office. He opened the door for me. I sat down in one of the chairs opposite the desk. I was so dead.