Chapter 2: Uninvited Guest

"Turn that off" Carolyn, Zoey's mother, tells her.

Zoey turns off the television," why?"

"Come help me with groceries" her mother commands her.

Zoey, who wears a light pink sweater and dark blue jeans with her hair in a pony tail, gets off the couch and goes outside to help her mother out with groceries, hearing sirens off in the distance," I think dad's in trouble again" joking to her mother.

Her mother smiles as they bring in the groceries," you wish".

Zoey stares at the beautiful Philadelphia blue sky, and smiles as she carries in the rest, leaving the door open bringing the groceries into the kitchen and puts them on the floor," you didn't need my help" telling her mom.

"I know, but it's something to do, I see you in front of the tv all the time when you're home. Don't you got any friends?" Carolyn tells her daughter.

"I"m home" Wade, Zoey's dad,  goes through the open door, then goes over to the kitchen," lookey what we have here, food".

"No, we got brains" Zoey starts unpacking the food, putting eggs and the orange juice inside the fridge.

""With this new flu going around, I'm not sure how long we'll last. There was a roadblock up the road aways." her father chuckles.

"Did you say a roadblock, honey?" Carolyn asks her husband.

"Yeah, it's been talked about all over the news."

"I don't watch the news" Zoey says, finishing up with the unpacking.

"The news is just there to put fear in the world" Carolyn says, then hears a noise out front," did you guys hear that?"

"Hear what?" Wade asks.

"I"ll be right back" Carolyn walks out of the kitchen, towards the noise she heard.

Zoey shrugs," maybe our house is haunted".

Carolyn goes into the front living room, then stares at a tall middle aged man, blood all over his mouth and the man wears shredded street clothes," can I help you?" She asks, not sure what to do.

The tall guy stares at Carolyn, then, all of a sudden it grabs her and pushes her down on the ground and takes a big bite out of her neck as she screams for help. He starts chewing through her neck like a starving pig.

Wade rushes into the living room, then goes into shock at the scene he sees, he quickly pushes off the man," GET OFF HER" and stares down at his wife, then back at the tall man slowly getting back to his feet.

Zoey, rushes into her parent's bedroom and grabs the hidden handgun then runs into the living room just as the tall man walks towards her father, she aims the gun at the tall man," get away, or I'll shoot" she puts the safety off.

Wade stares at her daughter with the gun in her hand, he then nods her way and tells her," shoot him" and stares down at his wife.

Zoey, without hesitation, pulls the trigger as she aims at his head, watching the tall man fall. She then moves her eyes towards her mother on the ground, looking like a dying cow.

Wade puts his arms around Carolyn's head, tears falling from his eyes," call an ambulance, NOW" he commands his daughter as he stares down at her, closing her eyes and hugs the lifeless body.

Zoey puts the handgun down on the table, and rushes to her cell phone and calls up the hospital, asking for an ambulance, watching her father look like a broken man.

Wade then hears breathing, then stops crying staring down at the woman," Carolyn?" Then watches as her eyes quickly open up, staring at him, then watches as she takes a big bite out of him, taking a huge chunk of his cheek.

Zoey rushes into the living room, watching her mother attack her father," dad?" She quickly cries, dropping her cell phone. 

Wade feels bloody everywhere on his face, he grabs for the handgun then points it into Carolyn's mouth, pulling the trigger watching her brains spill out everywhere then he cries in pain, from the big chunk of his cheek missing.

Zoey rushes over to her dad, bending down next to him," are you okay?" Starts crying, wiping away some tears.

Wade looks up at his daughter," shoot me" he tells her, feeling the pain in his face.

"WHAT?" She responds back.

"I don't want to.......I......I don't want to be what your mother was" he says.

Zoey, staring down at her dad, slowly picks up the handgun he dropped," I......I can't" tears start falling from her eyes.

"Be strong. You'll always be daddy's little girl."

Zoey, bends down and kisses his head," I love you dad", this her last words to her dad. 

"I love you too" her dad tells her.

Zoey aims the gun at his head, then pulls the trigger as it sounded like a small bomb exploded near her face. She stares down at her dad, a bullet inside his head now.

Zoey cries some more as she looks around at the blood bath, leaving her the only survivor. She pulls up her sweatshirt, as she stares at a bite she got earlier that day from her best friend. She pulls her sweatshirt back down as she heads towards the front door.

Zoey feels the fresh air hit her, and breathes it in looking around at the carnage, she stares at chaos and the living dead everywhere," How can this happen?" She asks herself.

"You're not one of them?" A voice says right beside her.

Zoey turns around, staring at a black guy pointing a gun at her, she shows him her gun," would they carry one of these?"

The guy looks around at some of the infected feeding on some police officers, he turns back to the young lady," name's Louis, and you are?"

"Zoey" she wipes away the rest of her tears," just call me Zoey".

"Alright Zoeey, I think it's about time we get the hell out of this joint, what do you say?" Louis looks around, making sure none of the infected are too close.

"I think that's the best thing I've heard all day" she answers back, following behind Louis as they walk towards an abandoned car as she hears sirens, a motorcycle and people screaming in the background.