Chapter 17: Separate Ways

Bill throws the lit molotov over his head, as it crash lands right on the Tank, the big thing starts burning.

The Tank turns to Bill as it burns, giving out one last roar as it runs at Bill, then suddenly drops with thr ground shaking below him.

Francis coughs up some water, grabbing hold of his gun shooting at the burning Tank, then runs out of ammo, his body dropping.

Zoey points her gun, just as the Tank drops,"bang".

Bill goes over to Francis,"are you alright?"

Francis gets to his knees pushing Bill away coughing up more water,"I'm just .....fine".

Zoey looks around,"I think we're safe for now".

"What now?" Bill asks, turning to Francis.

"We head to Riverside" Francis replies,"I know a guy there goes by the name Charles".

"What are the chances of him being alive? And why head there? Why to Charles?" Zoey asks

Francis turns to her,"Charles, he's a friend. He owns a car company, there's a good chance he'll still have some".

Bill puts out his cigarette," there are cars everywhere".

Francis turns to Bill,"it's the end of the world. Why not go out in style? The cars on the roads are either broken, or doesn't work. I'd rather take my chances going to Riverside, rather than hoping for god to give me a sign, truth is god doesn't exist. In the end, the only people we can trust is ourselves".

"Keep telling yourself that bullshit" Zoey tells him,"one day, maybe someone would believe you".

Francis shakes his head,"I will, hope doesn't exist & neither does a cure".

"We're immune for a reason" Bill speaks up,"maybe we all carry the cure".

Francis looks to Bill,"the cure doesn't exist. Even if it did, even if we indeed DID carry the cure" he goes up to Bill,"once the military found us, we'd be their test subjects. We have a better chance of reaching Riverside, than going off trying to find any slice of heaven".

Bill looks into Francis's blue eyes,"Francis, you do what you want. Go to Riverside, I bet it's just as pretty as this whole countryside".

Francis looks out to the lake,"Riverside is on the other side" turning back to Bill & Zoey,"we're going our separate ways".

"Maybe then your mouth can actually be useful when you find your friend" Zoey tells Francis looking back at him,"do you think this is what Louis would've wanted from us?"

Francis goes over to an abandoned canoe, checking for any damage or holes"Louis is dead, it'll happen to all of us".

Bill looks back at the house they were in, looking back to Zoey,"C'mon, if Francis wants to go on a suicide mission, let em. Last I heard, Riverside was a warzone anyway" heading back to the house carrying his rifle.

Francis gets into the canoe, grabbing a piece of wood to use as a paddle on the ground,"I have a better chance without you two anyway".

Zoey looks to Francis,"we're the only reason why your still alive. If you want to just.....leave. Then so be it" she turns around, catching up to Bill going towards the house.

"Don't come running back to me when your trapped in a corner, with no where to run or hide" Francis yells after them, taking off in the canoe, leaving his friends behind.