Chapter 22: Chloe Monsters

Alex stares down at the ground, leaning against the wall, some tears still falling from his face.

Francis covers his mouth, looking down at the blanket covering the man once known as Jim. He grabs the man's shotgun, walking out of the room.

"Why didn't he tell me?" Alex turns to Francis, anger in his eyes,"I didn't even get a proper goodbye".

Francis looks at the kid,"that's what happens in the world we live in now. Hell, a good friend of mine died. Louis" he hands Alex the shotgun,"here, just don't do anything stupid".

Alex grabs the shotgun, looking at it,"she's heavy".

"Why don't ya just name her Chloe" Francis shines the flashlight around, landing on a magazine on the table, Chloe Grace Moretz on the front cover,"creep much?"

Alex shakes his head,"shut up" pushing past him to the front door.

Francis picks up the magazine staring at it,"wasn't she the girl who played Carrie? She's not bad" nodding putting the magazine in Alex's travel bag.

Alex responds,"Chloe is the only one who played her right" staring out the window,"looks like we have visitors".

Francis zips up the bag handing it to Alex, getting up looking through the window,"my.....god" staring at the street filled with infected.

"I guess my father's shot attracted them, huh?" Alex asks, backing up grabbing his bag.

Francis turns around heading to the back, then hears a boomer near them stopping Alex,"one of them got in".

"A fat bastard?" Alex hears it too, pointing his gun ahead of them.

"Kid, let me go first" Francis gets ahead of Alex, the noises getting a lot closer,"once they puke on you, it attracts the rest of the regular infected".

"I know, I call then Chloe Eaters" Alex explains to him.

"WHAT?" Francis looks to him.

"Got to name them something stupid, right?"

"But Chloe Eaters? Are you serious?" Francis shakes his head,"lets hope your obsession doesn't get us killed".

Alex shakes his head, just as something grabs his legs from right underneath him, tripping him.

Francis watches The Smoker grab Alex with his long tongue, pulling him in.

"Alex" Francis jumps grabbing Alex's hand.

Alex hangs on to Francis's hand, staring back at The Smoker's ugly face,"what a ugly looking thing".

Francis grabs the tongue, aiming his handgun pulling the trigger, out of nowhere the Smoker lets out a scream, pulling his tongue back in.

Alex sits up catching his breath,"that was close" turning to Francis,"I take it your good at this stuff".

Francis pulls Alex back to his feet,"I've had some practice" turning around, the Smoker gone.

Alex turns his head, staring at the infected running up to their glass window trying to break it,"I think we're about to be their dinner".

Francis reloads his handgun,"dinner....is cancelled".

Alex picks up his shotgun, hearing the fat guy again,"lets go out the back".

"Question, what do you call those things with the tongue? Chloe Pullers?" Francis chuckles, just as the boomer jumps right in front of them, opening his mouth puking on both of them.

"Fuck" Francis yells out pushing the boomer back, then shoots the tummy as green liquid explodes out of it.

Alex feels green stuff all over him,"are we infected, now?"

"No" Francis leads them down the hallway,"we need to leave, NOW".

Alex follows after, passing by the room with his dead father. Then that's when he hears glass breaking, a hungry horde of infected running behind them.