Chapter Twelve

Carter's POV

I storm out of the safe room and back into my room. I lay down on my bed and cry. It's all my fault, I should have been protecting her, not her protecting me.

I need some air. I walk outside of my room and see words written on the wall, in a red substance. I went over to touch it.

It's sticky, and red. I gasp and back away from the wall. The walls are coated in human blood. It's too dark to tell what the words say but I'm afraid.

I think back to Emmica, I've abandoned her! I abandon everything I love, I abandoned my family after Lacie died. My mother cried for days after my sister died four years ago.

It should have been me, it should have been me, it should have been me. Its my fault that Lacie is gone. If I hadn't dared her to climb that tree, she never would have fallen, never would have broken her neck.

I was never blamed, but felt like all of those around me put the blame on me. Lacie should have been Queen, she was a year older than Adam and I.

I suddenly remember that the rebels are still in the palace and run to the wall and push a button to unlock a safe room for the help in the palace. It opens without a problem with no one inside.

I go in, but the door will not close. I try the key that is supposed to close the door, it won't close.

I run across the hall and the one across the hall opens very slowly, suddenly I see a rebel, with a gun. He cocks his gun, and fires. The bullet catches me in the upper leg. I cry out in pain and pull myself into the safe room.

I press the button to close the door once I am inside and the door slowly begins to close. The rebel begins to fire once again, he catches my ankle.

Again I cry out in pain. The door closes before the man can reach me. I hear him banging on the door and trays to open it.

After about five minutes he gives up and leaves. I sign in relief.

Ha, I think, 17 and I'm gonna die of a bullet to the leg! I laugh, but there is no one around.

I feel cold, oh so very cold. I can't believe that I abandoned Adam and my parents and most of all Emmica.

"I'm so sorry Emmica. If I get through this, if you get through this, I'll never leave you again. I'll never leave you. Never."

I drifted to sleep and dreamed of Emmica. Her beautiful Brown hair and green eyes.

I awake to the sound of the door opening. A guard pokes his face in. A picture of relief plays across his face, "Oh thank goodness. We found him. Call the king and queen."

"I've been shot in the leg." I look at the guard, "And in the foot." All I could think of was Emmica.

A pair of guards came with a stretcher and put me on it, I look around and see my home ripped apart. Chairs from rooms in the hallways, paintings ripped and I feel my cheeks wet. I sit up and see Adam running towards me.

"Adam!"

He runs up to me and grabs me and hugs me, "Man C, you've got to stop being to foolish! You scared me! I thought you were dead!"

"I'm sorry!" I say. "Emmica! Where's Emmica?!"

A somber look plays across Adams face.

I can feel the blood drain out of my face. "She's dead isn't she."

Adam shakes his head no, "No, but she's been in a coma for two days."

"I've been out for two days!?" I frown.

Adam smirks, "I guess so. Well, we'd better get you down to the infirmary now. Or are you gonna go shoot your other foot and leg?" He chuckles.

"I swear, it was a rebel!"

"I know, I know."

I smile.