Chapter Fifteen

Adam's POV

I walk into the infirmary to ask the nurses about Emmica, but when I walk in to visit her I see her beautiful green eyes. But the thing that angers me the most is that Carter is there with her.

I walk in, and ask Carter to leave. What I really want to say is Get the heck out of here!(sorry guys I don't swear at all so, just insert your favorite curse word!). But I can't say that.

I've come to kick out Emmica, but I don't know if I can do that now. The Selection started in late August and it's already mid-October.

The Selection has gone on for nearly an month and a half. I need to send home more girls, while Emmica was in a coma I sent home Annie, Delia, Cecila and Cameron. None of them were quite the kind of girls I wanted.

Emmica was the kind of girl I wanted, but Carter got to her first.

Surprising Carter leaves quietly, hobbling out of the room on the crutches he hasn't quite gotten the hang of yet.

I sit down in a chair next to Emmica, "Hello my darling." I say smugly. "You're finally awake."

"Yeah, I guess so I've been out longer before though," she says, her voice thick with emotion.

"What happened?" I ask curiously.

"Well," Emmica hesitates. "All of my family except for me and my sister Meg were killed in a house fire." Her eyes start to fill with tears. "I pulled Meg out of the house with me, I went back to get my brother and parents, but then our house collapsed and I swear I can still hear the screams of my family as they burned."

Emmica silently cries, tears running down her face, dripping onto the blanket she's covered in.

Emmica puts her head in her hands, "I never tell anybody about my family and their death, but I can still hear Nate's cries as the house burned." She sobs quietly, "Its my fault that their dead."

I take one of her hands in mine and run my thumb across the back of her hand, "My sister died, she should have been Queen but she broke her neck." I say solemnly. "Lacie would still be here if it wasn't for Carter." I spit out with disgust.

Lately he's been stealing everything from me. He practically killed Lacie, he's got Emmica in his clutches and now I've lost him.

"What did Carter do?" Emmica says in shock. "He killed her?"

I chuckle, "No, he dared her to climb one of the trees in the Forrest, she fell out and broke her neck. Died instantly."

"Oh." That's all I get out of her, an oh. Yeah she told me about her dead family but that means nothing to me. "It seems like you've been through a lot."

This phrase should be comforting, but it just cuts deeper, opening new wounds in my scared heart. I'm angry, I can literally feel my blood fill with adrenaline.

I'm furious, Emmica sense my change in mood, "Are you okay Adam?"

I turn to her, she sees the fire in my eyes and shrinks, trying to make herself as small as possible. I can see the fear in her eyes but I don't care.

"Do you think I'm okay!?!" I scream at her. "I've heard enough, I'm sorries for a life time! Do you think that I care about your dead family?! You are nothing to me!"

Tears run down Emmica's face and she brings her knees up to her chin and a look of fear fill her tearful green eyes.

"I HATE YOU EMMICA! YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT CAUSE ME PAIN! YOU'RE OUT! GET OUT!" I storm out of her room, slamming the door on the way out.

I walk by the nurses station and tell the nurse, "I want her out before dinnertime." The nurse nods.

In the hallway I see Carter, judging by the cheerful look on his face as he hobbles down the hall, he doesn't know what just went down in the infirmary.

He's probably on his way back there now.

She'll tell him that I screamed at her, that I made her cry. He'll hate me forever.

What have I done?