Chapter Eight

"He just got... weird," I sighed as I ran my fingers through the tangles of my brown hair.

Demi and Miley glanced at each other before Miley grabbed my hand across from the table, "Weird? Weird how?"

"I don't know! He just got up and left. What kind of weird is that?" I took a sip of the glass of wine sitting in front of me, eyeing the girls abpve the rim of the glass.

Demi sighed loudly before resting her chin in her hand, "Girl, what is goin' on with that boy?"

"Like I know!" I exclaimed with my eyes wide while lifting my hands up to my face.

"hey, hye! Calm down! We'll have this all under control," Miley soothed as she reached over the table to grab one of my hands from my face to hold it in her own. Demi grabbed my other in both of her palms and rubbed it with her thumb calmly. "I just really ned this to work out.'

Miley patted my hand and said "We know, we're here to help you out." Demi nodded in agreement with care in her eyes. I looked at the two girls sitting in front of me with appreciation and love welling up inside of me. 

Miley stuck her tongue out at me and Demi let a small laugh fell into the space between us before returning the face with an addition of furrowed eyebrows and a scrunched up nose. A smile slwoly crept up on my face as the facials continued to get more and more ridiculous.

"C'mon!" Miley finally said after Demi final face. "Time to hit the town!"

I groaned and rolled my eyes, "I'm really not up for it, guys." 

Demi and Miley raised their eyebrows and gave each other sidewards glances but immediately looked down and around, anywhere but me really. "What?" I askedwitha tinge of irritation.

Demi mumbled a few syllables while playing with her hands, which only made me even more annoyed. "What?!" I said a bit louder, the word now dripping with urgency and annoyance.

Miley then rolled her eyes, looked at Demi - who was still playing with her hands - and finally said, "Don't change for him."

I leant back in my chair with my mouth hanging slightly opened. A lump rose to my throat, blocking the path of the saliva I was swallowing. I shook my head, trying to shake the feeling that the girls were right but its as if as soon as they said it, it was pinned to my back, like a kick me sign that was in the exact position that my hands couldn't reach no matter which way I would distort my body. I rose from my seat and with a few distressed objections from my two best friends I walked out of the restaurant and leaned against the brick wall next to the entrance of it. 

I breathed in the cool air as the lump slowly subsided. 

Don't change for him. Don't change for him. Dont change for him. Don't change for him. Don't change for him. 

The words swam through my head, tuning out any sounds of the outside world until I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I jumped a bit with the surprise of being shoved back into reality. I was greeted with two pairs of worried eyes. I sighed and looked down to my feet. before saying, "Sorry about that. Just had a rough day with the whole date thing."

"We get it, don't worry," Demi rubbed my shoulder with her warm hand. "We also understadn if you don't wanna come out with us tonight." I lifted my head to Miley and Demi who were both watching me closely but I just let a nervous laugh out and shook my head. 

"Lets just go. YOLO!" I lifted my hands above my head and laughed with more conviction the second time round. Demi and Miley gave each other doubtful looks but I rushed past them while nstaching my purse from Miley's hands.