Chapter Twenty

The air hit my cheeks, causing them to turn a light shade of pink. I could hear Zayn's footsteps behind me as I found a spot on the railing to lean against on the roof of the event venue.

I dug into my purse for a Marlboro Gold Beyond and my pink lighter (the only lighter I've ever been able to keep for longer than a week.)

Zayn looked down at the cigarette I'd just handed him along with the lighter. "Same lighter, different smoke."

"I prefer the menthol flavor of these cigarettes, they're also not so harsh on my vocal chords." I replied blankly. Zayn nodding slowly, handing back the lighter after he'd lit his smoke.

I dipped my head down to light my own, breathing in the nicotine and breathing out the smoke, watching as the grey cloud danced in the chilly air.

Another silence fell over us. The air was so tense between us, we could barely look at one another. After pretty much eternity, I could finally see the last drag of my cigarette coming. I racked my brain for something bad ass to say. Something that would say 'fuck you'; 'you know nothing about me' and 'don't assume things about things you don't understand' all in one. Something that would floor him.

I stubbed out my cigarette, took one last look at the vast LA landscape beyond the roof and said, "Well... I'll see you around."

I began retreating into the venue again half expecting him say something, anything, all the while kicking myself for my incompetence. As I reached the door I turned back to see Zayn had finished his cigarette and was now just looking out to the skyline. I sucked in a breath before swinging the door open.

"Woah!" Harry's face was a look of horror, obviously surprised by the door opening suddenly in front of him. His face slightly relaxed when he saw me, but only for a second before turning to a look of a mixture between bashfulness, concern and definitely some reservation. "H-hey. What's up?"

I raised my eyebrows at him, "Nothing much, you?"

He rubbed the back of his neck, obviously nervous. "Yeah, all good. Listen, about toda-"

A sound from behind me cause Harry to stop and focus his attention just over my head. I turned to follow his gaze to see Zayn standing a few feet away from us. Harry glanced down at me before returning Zayn's stare, "Hey man. Is there a party up here or something?"

Zayn just grunted in reply.

"Well, we've gotta get down there. I came to find you. Simon wants a group shot," Harry continued, his eyes darting between us, suspicious.

I don't have time for this. I pushed past Harry's solid frame and rushed down the stairs in search of Demi. Or another gin and tonic. Whichever I found first.

"Selena!" I heard Harry calling from behind me, but I knew he wasn't following me.

I pushed past the thickened crowd, being knocked this way and that. I was getting progressively more flustered and dazed. I just wanted to get out of there, to hell with Demi!

"Oomph!" Suddenly is reached a dead end bumping straight into a broad chest. I looked up to see a grinning Simon Cowell. "Where are you off to in such a hurry, sweetheart?" I smiled sheepishly up at him thinking of an excuse to get the hell away from him and, well, all of this. "Come join us for a photo," he said. Now for most people I'd protest but not for Simon. I allowed him to place a delicate protective palm on the small of my back as he led me through the masses of people to a screen set up, printed with little red X Factor icons all over it.

All One Direction boys were now standing huddled in a group, Harry notably a bit separate from the group and glaring at Zayn.

"Boys!" Simon bellowed. They all sprung round to face the music mogul with smiles on their faces. When they glimpsed at me I knew that whatever had happened after I'd ran from the roof had not reached their ears yet; they were happy to see me. Zayn didn't even look at me, focusing all of his attention on Simon while Harry looked pissed.

***
My cheeks actually burned from all the fake smiling I had been doing for the last hour of the event. I was ready to go home. No, not ready, dying to go home. But Demi had done it again. She'd convinced me to make a bad life decision and follow her and Niall to a club downtown. The three of us were hopping into a car when I saw Harry following the other boys to another car, dragging his feet and obviously sulking. I hopped up into the SUV and closed the door, while Niall and Demi took their time reaching the other side of the car and both jumping in.

Then suddenly, the front passenger car door swung open and in hopped Harry Styles, his curls unmistakable.

"Hey, mate!" A sweaty Niall reached over from his side of the car and clasped hands with Harry. "I thought you weren't up for a big night like the rest of 'em."

"Nah, mate, I need a big night like this," he replied quickly without even looking my way.

Demi could feel my energetic shift because I could feel her palm patting my knee reassuringly.

This is gonna be one hell of a night.
***
I grumbled as I reached my arm out from under the sheets to find my vibrating phone. After a few attempts of patting the bedside table, I realized that my phone had called to the floor below. I pulled myself over the bed to reach down and snatch the blasted technology and without even thinking cancelled the call that was causing my awakening. I rubbed my eyes before scrunching to look at the lit up screen.

24 missed calls
7 new text messages
10 new voice messages
450, 652 new mentions

"Whaaaaat the fuck?" I grumbled, my voice scratching my throat. I felt eh bed shift beside me, frightening me forcing me to bolt up into a sitting position. It was only then that I realized that I wasn't home. I wasn't anywhere near my home.

I turned to face the hunk of flesh and bone sprawled next to me.

But to my horror, it wasn't Harry sleeping butt naked next to me.

It was Justin.