7: Making Conversation

I’d love to believe that all things have happy endings, but I’ve learned the hard way that they most certainly, do not. Not all things. But some things.

Like my dream last night: it had no happy ending, but started out happy. Did that happiness in the beginning exceed the unfortunate ending?  Was it worth it? I didn’t think so personally, but I thought maybe Xaviera would. But, if she were real, she didn’t seem like the type that would have nightmares. Because her life, just like her, would be perfect.

I’d finished freaking out about Claire’s assumption that I “loved” Shane. It may seem shocking to most of society, but I actually looked at “love” the way most parents did. Not foolish teenagers that are together 3 weeks, and text each other.

Claire called me back, then, telling me that instead of Alana, she was throwing me a G.N.O.

“Will Alana be there?” I asked. It was a dumb question, but I was curious.

She answered how I expected, “Not unless you want her there.”

I scoffed, “It’s not like she would show up if I wanted her there, anyway.”

“Not unless you apologized to her, first.”

“I’m not apologizing. Ever.”

“Then I guess she won’t come.”

Claire was a good Switzerland. But I still wondered if she felt like we were dragging her in the middle of the fight. When, honestly, there wasn’t a fight in my eyes. I was over it. But, it wouldn’t surprise me if Alana wasn’t. She was probably seething at her house, gossiping about me to Braden and her other church friends, ironically, thinking I was doing the same thing. Still, I wasn't apologizing when I did no wrong.

Alana wasn’t going to ruin my day already, so I changed the subject to what we were going to do. Claire’s ideas for a G.N.O probably weren’t as exciting as Alana’s would be, but I felt like what I really needed was a quiet, yet fun evening with Claire.

“I was thinking…we could go spray paint our names on the rocks outside of town.”

I gasped. Spray painting the rocks was something everyone did before they died, but, still, the fact Claire was suggesting it was enough to make me want to do it. Again. I didn’t bother telling her that Alana and I had both faked the same stomach flu to avoid getting out of a sleepover at her house so that we go do it without her. Last summer.

“That’s a great idea! We have to wait until dark, and you could stay the night…” I suggested.

“Oh…er…I can’t.” She said her tone changing abruptly.

“Why?” It probably wasn’t my business, but…I still wanted to know.

“ A…cookout with family.”

“Oh. What’s the occasion?” Claire’s family only got together on Holidays and when someone else in the family had their communion to the church.

“ Fine, Soph. It’s Father’s Day.” She had a tone that said, happy now?

“ On.” I gulped, “ Well…sorry I asked. I didn’t mean to- I set myself up for it!” I spluttered.

She chuckled on the other end, “Good Heavens, Sophia, it’s not your fault. I don’t even know why they have Father’s Day. There is only one Father we should be celebrating. Name me on Holiday we celebrate for him.

I smiled, “Easter, Christmas…”

She scoffed. “ Nice. But I meant it rhetorically. Even so, those Holiday’s are for Jesus. Technically.”