Chapter 15

I rubbed my arm subconsciously as I was lead back to my room. I had three tests today and my arm was aching a little from all the needles. Dr. Samuels was at another facility today so I had a different doctor this time. He wasn't as gentle.

As the door closed behind me I let out an exhausted sigh. "I never knew sitting in a chair day after day could get so tiring."

Dylan sat up on his bed and smiled comfortingly. "All those chemicals must put a lot of strain on your system."

I smiled. "Sorry. I guess I shouldn't be complaining. You go through a lot more than I do."

"No, it's okay. I understand. Yours is more dangerous anyways." His smile dropped and he sighed lightly. "I wonder how long we'll be here..."

I came and sat next to him. "I don't know..." I layed my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. "But, as long as we have each other we'll be fine."

He nodded and I put my arms around his waist. "Cheer up. Dr. Samuels said that all the scientists are going to a meeting next week about an important formula or something and won't be back for a few days."

"How is that something to be cheerful over?" He asked quizzically.

"Well, for one, we won't have to go through any tests during that time." I said. "We can spend the whole day together."

His eyes lit up with understanding and he smiled. I smiled back and pulled him into my lap. "See? Cheer up?"

He leaned back against me and nodded. "Yeah."

He was warmer than usual which meant that he'd finally been allowed to shower. His hair was damp against my shoulder and his skin was soft. He was breathing slowly and I could tell he was beginning to fall asleep.

I stroked his hair with a loving hand as I too began to drift off. It was one of the rare times I could ever consider it peaceful in this place...

Suddenly we both jumped at the sound of the lock being unlock and the door swinging open. Dylan scrambled up as Dr. Gibbs walked in. He rolled his eyes at us and Dylan bowed his head. I stood behind Dylan and held his hand for courage.

"Let's go. We have work to do." Dr. Gibbs said to Dylan.

I held him back. "What do you mean? He's already done enough for a day."

His eyes flickered towards me and I saw anger in them. "Keep unneeded opinions to yourself." He said. "Let's go, Dylan."

He began to exit the room and Dylan's face dropped. I didn't let go of his hand as he began walking towards the door. "Dylan..."

He made sure Dr. Gibbs wasn't looking and pecked my cheek. "I'll be okay. Don't worry about me."

I hesitated but, let go of his hand and he left the room. As the door closed I sat back down on the bed slowly, my hands resting in my lap. "Stay safe..." I murmured.

The lock clicked and I stood up, beginning to pace the room. Something was off. Dylan was never called out during the evening. He was always back before me and we were alone the rest of the day. Dr. Gibbs was up to something. I was sure of it.

I lost track of how many times I walked from one end of the tiny room to the other. Time passed with a crawl and I wondered how late it had gotten. I prayed Dr. Gibbs wouldn't keep Dylan overnight.

After walking back and forth through the room for an eternity the door open. I turned quickly. "Dyl-" My relief disappeared and I frowned.

The guard stood there. "Dr. Gibbs has asked for you." He said.