Chapter 19

I closed my eyes with a tremendous sigh. It'd been a long day and I was exhausted. I couldn't wait to fall asleep.

"Dylan? Are you awake?"

My eyes snapped open and I stared at the ceiling. I must have fallen asleep. The room was dark and I had to strain my eyes to see. It took my a moment to realize what had awakened me. I rubbed my eyes and turned to look at Jason. "I am now... What is it?"

"Sorry if I woke you. I just wanted to ask if you were going to be gone tomorrow night?"

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you always leave every morning and I never know when you're going to be back." He mumbled. He sounded hesitant. "Dr. Samuels invited me to come with him to some party... I... I don't want to go alone."

"Then just don't go..." I said as I tried to stay awake. He frowned. "But, I don't want to refuse. He's been really nice to me and I don't want to be ungrateful." He rolled over and stuffed his face in his pillow. If it had been brighter in the room I'd have noticed his ears were slightly pink.

He watched me out of the corner of his eye. "I was wondering... if you wanted to go with me..." He said. I went to protest and he sat up. "Please? I'm sure Dr. Samuels will be okay with it. I'll ask him tomorrow."

I frowned. "I don't think I can. I don't really want to either..." I mumbled.

He looked disheartened and I sighed. He used to do that before too... I closed my eyes and rolled over, facing away from him. "Fine... I guess it wouldn't hurt..." I said.

I heard him sit up and knew he was smiling like an idiot. I sighed and closed my eyes. It was almost saddening how I could predict him so well...

Suddenly, his bed creak and his feet padded over the linoleum floor. Then my breath caught in my throat as he leaned on my bed and looked down at me. I didn't move and when he asked if I was sleeping I didn't speak.

My hands clenched as he ran his hand through my hair, leaning down and kissing my cheek. "Thank you..." He murmured.

My skin grew hot as he traced his fingers down my neck. "I'm sorry for everything I've put you through... I promise I'm going to make it up to you very soon..."

The feeling of his hand disappeared and the first second of cold I felt disappointed from the loss. Then I got goosebumps as I heard his voice right next to my ear. "I promise."

As he pulled away and walked back to his own bed I bit my lip and closed my eyes. It was only then that I noticed the trembling of my hands. He was messing with me. He was pulling my leg...

I pulled the blanket over my head and tried to hide my tears from the darkness. I couldn't stand it. It was like he knew everything and nothing all at once...

*******

"I really think I should just stay here..." I said as Jason tried to pull me towards the door. I had been too tired the night before to think about it but, Dr. Gibbs probably didn't know about this party and if he did he'd see me and I'd get punished. I hate to think of what he'd do to me...

Jason, on the other hand, was insistent that I still go with him. I'd been arguing with him all afternoon. He wasn't convinced.

"It'll be fun. I'm sure Dr. Gibbs, or whatever his name is, won't even be there." He said. "Even if he is you can always hide behind me or something."

I felt annoyed by that last comment and frowned. "I'm not going to hide... That's dumb..." I hid behind him too much as it was. I

He looked like he was trying not to get frustrated, an emotion Jason hadn't shown since he'd forgotten everything. He took my hands. "Won't you at least come for a little while. You can leave if you get too worried or bored."

My skin tingled from his touch and I pull my hands away, looking anywhere but, his face. "I really don't think it's a good idea..."

He fell silent and when I glanced at him he was looking at the floor with an expression full of worry, and sadness. Was he seriously that scared to go alone?

I sighed. "If I go for a little bit, will you be happy?"

He looked up and the look of relief on his face annoyed me slightly. Why did I always give into him? Even before he always talked me into everything. But, I couldn't refuse.

"That's perfect. I probably won't stay long either. I just want to show my gratitude to Dr. Samuels." He said.

"Yeah..." I murmured.

Jason smiled and hug me. "Thank you!"

I tensed uncomfortably. Thankfully, he pulled away after a second and knocked on the door. "Hello? Dr. Samuels wants to see me." He called.

The door opened and his guard looked in. "I remember him telling me that." He said. "Come on out. Be fast."

He nodded and stepped out of the room. I hesitated but, when he waved me over I reluctantly walked out into the hallway with him. The guard lead us down a few different halls and eventually to a door. I quickly figured that it was Dr. Samuels lab.

As the door was opened I saw the familiar man standing by a desk. He looked up and I saw relief fill his eyes. "Oh, good. You're here." He said.

Jason stepped into the room, followed by me, and the air seemed to change. "Sorry, I'm late. I was getting nervous."

I frowned. He wasn't going to say I was getting nervous? I found it odd but, brushed it off. He probably thought I'd be upset if he blamed me. He didn't know me as well as he used to anyways.

Dr. Samuels smiled at me. "Hello, Dylan. I see you decided to take up Jason's offer."

I nodded, my eyes lowered. "Yes..."

He stood up and ruffled my hair. "This is a safe place. You don't need to worry."

I nodded lightly, not lifting my head. He smiled again before turning to Jason. "So, if you go down the hall to your right and take two lefts you'll find a staircase. Three flights down is the ground floor."

Jason nodded and I frowned. He wasn't making us walk with the guard. That was unusual. I guess Dr. Samuels trusted Jason. Not surprising. Since Jason lost his memories he'd been completely ignorant about our situation. He didn't know what was right and what was wrong.

"Everyone on the first floor is on break right about now so you don't have to worry about running into anyone." Dr. Samuels said. "There aren't any subjects on the first floor so there are few guards as well."

Jason nodded. I felt like something was wrong though and glanced at Jason. "Is the party on the first floor?" I asked.

He smiled. "No, it's on this floor but, Dr. Samuels wanted me to drop something off at the front desk."

I looked back down. "Oh..."

I was quiet for the rest of the directions. It only took a few more minutes before Dr. Samuels was done. He handed Jason a bag. "Here you go. Be careful."

Jason nodded and Dr. Samuels turned to me. "Good luck, Dylan. This is going to be an adventure."

*******

Hey everyone! It's about to get interesting. There's a roller coaster of events coming up very soon. Merry Christmas y'all! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! AS ALWAYS, VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, AND STAY AWESOME!

-Nekoco