Chapter 20

I followed Jason down the hall slowly, something nagging at me. "J-... Jason? Are you sure this is okay?"

He glanced at me and smiled. "Of course. I just have to leave something at the front desk for Dr. Samuels. It'll only take a second."

Even though he was smiling, I could see the beads of sweat on his forhead and neck. He wasn't telling me something. My natural instinct went off and I came to a stop. "I... I think I'll just wait here... I don't want to get in trouble."

He turned to me with a slightly panicked look. "Dylan-"

He was cut off by the door of the next floor opening. He took a split second to grab my arm and pull me forward. I was surprised and let him drag me down a few steps before I pulled back. "What are-"

He pushed a hand over my mouth and wrapped his arm around my body, forcing me to back up into the wall beneath the stairs. My senses went on alert and I started to jerk around. He frowned harshly and gripped my mouth tightly. "Be quiet, would you?!" He hissed.

I swallowed nervously and followed his eyes as they darted over to the two guards walking down the stairs, pushing through a door and disappearing. When their voices faded behind the door Jason sighed and pulled away, not letting go of my hand.

As he tried to pull me through the door I yanked my hand away. "What are you doing?!"

He rolled his eyes in frustration. "I don't have time to explain. Just come with me."

"Why?"

He clenched his fists and poked his head out the door. "It's clear right now. If we hurry we can make it."

This wasn't Jason. I knew it and I wasn't going to be fooled. I'd never fall for these men's tricks again.

I whipped around and ran back up the stairs. He looked shocked. "Dylan, wait!"

I heard him run up after me and his arms wrapped around my waist. "Let go!" I screamed.

He looked up at the guards rushing into the stairway. "What's going on?" They asked as they ran towards us.

I tried to break free from Jason's arms but, he pulled me back down the stairs and pushed me out the door. We were on the first floor now and I could see the front desk, a lady seated there.

Jason glanced back as the guards burst through the door behind us and shoved me forward, practically dragging me through the front doors, ignoring the shouts of the desk lady and the guards.

I didn't know what was happening.  Why was he pushing me outside? As I looked around in confusion he grabbed my hand. "Please, come with me Dylan. We have to go now!"

I felt like the world stopped and I just stared at him. He pleaded with his eyes and I glanced at the guards running at us. Then I made up my mind.

As he pulled me along I started running with him. We entered the trees and I let go of his hand. We heard gunshots behind us and I ducked. Jason pulled me by my sleave towards an exit in the trees. I suddenly felt a pain in my should and tripped.

Jason skidded and ran back to me. I held my shoulder as blood dripped through my fingers. "Ah... Ow..." I winced.

Jason's eyes widened and tried to help me up. "Oh, my God. Are you okay?"

I got to my feet and started to try and run again. "I'm fine. We have keep going."

He nodded and helped me through the trees. I don't know when but, eventually we lost our pursuers. I started to slow, my head getting fuzzy from the loss of blood. "Jason... I can't..."

I dropped to my knees and held onto my shoulder. Jason nelt down and tried to put pressure on my wound. I hissed in pain and smacked his hand away. "That hurts..."

He frowned. "Dylan, you're going to lose too much blood. I have to wrap it."

"Don't touch me... I'll be... fine..." My eyes started to glaze and I leaned against a tree.

Jason quickly picked me up and started walking through the trees. I tried to get him to put me down but, he ignored me. I would've kept resisting but, I could hardly keep my eyes open.

I drifted in and out of consciousness as Jason kept wandering through the woods. At one point I opened my eyes to the sound of Jason's voice.

"Please... We need help... He's hurt..."

I looked around dazed and saw an older lady and man standing in the door to a cabin. I couldn't focus on their faces though. Everything was a blur.

The next thing I knew I felt something warm on my forhead. I opened my eyes halfway and stared up at Jason in a daze. "What... happened...?"

He combed my hair gently with his fingers while he dabbled at my forhead with a cloth. "I'll tell you later. Just get some rest."

I tried to sit up but, tensed and relaxed back as pain shot through my shoulder. Jason grabbed another pillow and set it behind my head. "Don't move too much. The bullet hit your shoulder bone. If you move you'll make it worse."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "What happened after we ran...?"

He glanced at the door. "You passed out so I started carrying you. I found this place by accident."

I glanced around the room and murmured a hm. He grabbed a glass of water off the bedside table and helped my take a drink. After he set the water down he played with his shirt. "There's some couple living here. I'm not sure who they are but, they said we could stay for the night..."

"And after that...?"

He licked his lips and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know. They helped me bring you in here and then the man left. He said not to leave the room."

That sounded weird. Why couldn't we leave? Were they helping those people? Were we going to be taken back? Images started flashing through my head. "D-do... Do you think...?"

"I don't know. But, don't worry. If I think something's up I'll make sure nothing happens to you." He said.

I swallowed dryly and Jason wiped my forhead with the damp cloth. I took a pained breath. "Okay..."

He stared down at me until I glanced at him. Then he quickly averted his eyes. "I'll, uh... I'll go see if I can get you something to eat."

He stood up and walked to the door. I watched him knock and then the door open slightly. He looked so different than the last few weeks. He looked familiar. More familiar than before.

As he turned to glance back at me I gazed into his eyes. They were filled with worry. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his as he walked back towards me and nelt down. "Are you okay? Are you in pain?" He asked.

I blinked and came back down to earth instantly. "N-... No. I'm fine..."

He sighed and relive covered his face. "If you feel any pain please tell me."

I nodded, keeping my eyes down. "Yeah."

He seemed uncomfortable and stood up, beginning to walk towards a desk. I suddenly felt like he was leaving and I panicked. I reached out, grabbing his sleave.

*******

Hey everyone! Sorry to cut it off so funkily. It was getting too long and I had to stop. I'll update soon so no worries. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! AS ALWAYS, VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, AND STAY AWESOME!

-Nekoco