Lingering On (8)

Chapter Eight

Quote: “It's hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it....”

I jumped into bed at night. I was exhausted, work was keeping me busy but I still felt lonely in the empty bed, I had no one to cuddle up to and snuggle with. Living without Jeremy wasn’t easy, I missed him so much. Only one week and it was killing me. I stared at the ceiling which was black at this time. Thoughts were whirling in my mind.

Jennifer was telling me to call Jeremy and just confront him, tell him I wanted to get separated but I just couldn’t do it. I knew it would be alright with him, he probably wanted to leave me now that he thought I was cheating on him. Well he was right to think that, I guess. But I just didn’t know what to do. I called him a lot the first few days but he didn’t answer my calls nor replied to my texts. Emily didn’t ask me anything and I granted her leave saying that I could manage without her cooking, I had lost my appetite anyway. 

The vibration and beep of my mobile snapped me out of my thoughts. There was a text from...Jeremy? I was expecting it to be Jennifer or some of my other friends but not him. I frantically sat up in my bed. My heart stopped for a second. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Taking a deep breath, I opened the text.

Jeremy:   Alison, how are you? I hope you had a good day at work. Good night.

I re-read the text again and again until I had memorized the words. Did he miss me?

Me:   I am fine and I did have a good day at work. I hope you're okay.

Does that sound a bit too formal? Yep, it did.  

Jeremy:   It’s good to know you're okay. There's something I want to tell you.

What does he want to tell me? My mind was full of questions. I missed him terribly.

Me:   Yes?

Jeremy:   Can we meet somewhere? It'd be better if we talk in person.

Me:   Whenever you want.

Jeremy:   Tomorrow evening I'll pick you up. I won't take much of your time.

Me:   Sounds good to me. But will you please let me explain?

Jeremy:   Explain what?

Me:   Will you listen to what I have to say tomorrow?

Jeremy:   If you want me to.

 Me:   I wish you were here.

Jeremy:   Get some sleep.

Me:  Good night, Jeremy.