Under Her Shadow (10)

Candice's Pov

"Afternoon, Miss Hale." Greta greeted me as I stepped out of the elevator. I knew he was going to be angry. And for what? Because I'd told his wife the truth. I had done what he couldn't. I smiled at Greta. The sun was shining bright outside but I still felt a bit cold. I had had a massive hangover when I woke up this morning but I knew better than to back out of the little meeting Jeremy had arranged. 

"Is Mr. Alistair in? I want to see him," I said not bothering to greet her. She had bright red hair which bothered me because my ex had red hair. 

"Yes. He's expecting you," she said in a curt manner. I did not reply and entered his office before realizing I hadn't knocked. He better not get irritated about that. He was sitting on his chair, phone to his ear when I came in. He didn't smile at me but I gave him the sweetest smile I could muster. His office was way too large for one person, I thought. 

She probably married him for his money.

"Get it done by tomorrow. Do you understand? Fine. Thank you." He ordered whoever was on the other side of the call before hanging up with a curt thank you. I rolled my eyes at him as I sat down.

Jeremy Alistair could be enjoyable company when he was in a good mood, he would tell outrageous jokes and funny stories until he made you laugh to death but I knew there wasn't going to be any laughing right now. He turned his head towards me, his face showed no warm expression.

"Good afternoon." He said in a firm tone. He was so beautiful. Even back in high school, he was the most good looking guy and a total jerk, atleast for me he was, because he  denied that he wanted me.

Jeremy Alistair was the man I claimed myself to be in love with. The one who was already married, possibly still in love with his wife but refused to tell me or her. 

"Hi," I replied meekly, trying not to meet his gaze. There was a burning silence for a while as we both watched each other. I decided to break the ice.

"Okay okay I know you're mad. I shouldn't-" I started to say but I was rudely cut off.

"You shouldn't have? How dare you do just a thing?" He retorted in a firm tone. I could tell he was trying to control his anger. He could do that pretty well- and he was controlling it right now. His pride would never get in the way of his desire.

"I did what you couldn't," I said folding my arms, starting to get annoyed. 

"What do you mean by that?" he said folding his arms on his desk as if challenging me. Although I knew he was more than just the good looks and the money, he was kind, in fact he was the kindest man I knew. 

"When are you going to tell her?" I asked, cutting to the chase.

"My choice," he replied running his fingers through his hair. 

"Why? Because you don't have a good reason?" I smirked earning a glare from him. She was going to find out one way or the other. I knew she didn't like me, well I didn't like her either. I was probably more true to her than anyone else.

"I'll tell her. And I'm going to do it soon. That is not your problem."

"Soon? Really?" I asked sarcasm lacing my tone. Maybe he still loved her.

"I will," he replied seriously. I wasn't too sure. My heart sunk and there was this feeling of regret that took place in my heart. I tried not to show any emotion but I wasn't very good at it; like he always was.

"Back to the topic. Why the hell did you lie? Seriously..Candice..she's my wife." He asked and I could see he was starting to lose it. 

"I told you. I did it for you!" I exclaimed.