Better Than You (3)

Heyo guys! How are all of you? Here's chapter 3. I hope you guys like it. Thank you for all the amazing comments. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me. And, well here it is. Vote, comment and enjoy! :D

Quote: "You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be."

On Monday, after work, I decided I couldn't sit around at home anymore. Jeremy wasn't ever around except on Sundays and I knew he wouldn't be interested in going shopping with me. I tried calling Jennifer but the call went straight to voicemail. I left her a message saying I missed her and wanted to see her soon.

I decided to stay home and laze around while I waited for Jeremy to come home. My whole life seemed to revolve around him. While his revolved around his work.

Late into the night, Emily wasn't in view; she must have gone to her room. Yawning, I changed into my night gown. Suddenly, I didn't feel like waiting for Jeremy to come home, so I went to sleep thinking about how things would still be the same in the morning. I wished I would give up. But a small ray of hope kept me holding on. I kept tricking myself to think that he could change.

Because I loved him.

I had just drifted off to sleep when the sound of footsteps woke me up. I sat up to see Jeremy come in. I knew there was no point in asking him where he was because he wouldn't tell me.

"Aren't you asleep yet?" he asked glancing at his watch.

"No," I said, running my fingers through my hair. I got up to get myself a glass of water.

Jeremy was in my way and he leaned down to give me a peck on the lips. Still in my dishelved state, I realized there was a faint smell of perfume coming from him- women's perfume. A perfume that I was sure was not mine. I froze in place as millions of different scenarios rose in my head.

I wondered if he would do it - cheat on me. I had never even thought about it before. Jeremy hadn't ever acted suspiciously. He’d never mentioned another woman to me, ever. I trusted him enough for that. But a lot had changed in this last year.

I slowly made my way downstairs, my mind in a frenzy. There was a sudden pain in my head. I was having a lot of these nowadays. My heart was beating fast as doubt grew inside me. My mind was filling itself with everything to add fuel to my suspiciousness. There could be a fair chance he was interested in someone.

After eleven years of being with me?

I didn't go back upstairs. I didn't want to face him at the moment.

The next morning I found myself on my bed. Jeremy must have carried me here but I hadn’t woken up. As the little event of the night hit me, fear rose inside. Reluctantly, I got up to find Jeremy gone. What else did I expect?

As much as I wanted to, I didn't voice my doubts to Jeremy. He would ignore me like he always did. But after Jennifer called me on Saturday, I knew I had to.

"Where have you been? Don't you care about me?" I playfully scolded her. She was the only friend from high school whom I had left now. I didn't really have Jeremy anymore.

"But I do. I'm sorry I was busy. I really miss you," she said honestly, her voice making me smile.

"So what have you been up to?"

"Aw nothing. Just some visit to Paris," she said sounding bored.

"Wow. You seem to be having fun," I smiled, happy for her. I had been to Paris on my honeymoon with Jeremy. It was wonderful and everything seemed so romantic, life seemed like a fairytale back then.

"Oh you and Jeremy should totally go there. It's so romantic," she said sounding excited.

“We went there on our honeymoon remember?”

“Yes but you can go again. Come on, convince him.”

"I don't think so..," I replied slowly, sadness lacing my tone. Jennifer noticed it I was sure.

"So he's the same since last?" she asked, seeming frustrated. Even though, Jennifer knew Jeremy way before I did and they were really good friends. They fought a lot, like brother and sister; but I wasn’t sure if they were still talking. Jennifer seemed to have taken a sudden disliking for him.

"Yeah...," I replied hoping she wouldn't start cursing him.

"What is wrong with that dickhead?" she spat out.

Here she goes again.

"Jennifer, forget it." I said closing my eyes.

"You should leave him,” Jennifer said firmly, her voice tight.

"What? No way!" I immediately replied. I couldn't leave him. I just couldn't.

“He’s being impossibly rude,” she almost said. Her voice was dark.

"So you're willing to be ignored?" She continued when I didn't reply.

"Don’t let him do this to you, Alison. Talk to him," she said now in a soothing tone. Her voice was soft all of sudden as if she felt pity for me. I hated it.

"I don't wanna talk about this...," I stated feeling irritated. I knew what she was saying was right but I had done everything I could. I didn’t know what else to do.

"Alison, I think there's something you should know...," she trailed off.

"What?"

"Well I saw Jeremy a few nights ago having dinner with a woman...." Her words struck me like a powerful blow to the stomach. My face fell and I felt a nervous feeling bloom in my chest. I sat down on the couch to give to support to my now weak knees.

"She could be a friend," I lied ignoring the rising pain in my chest. Oh no.

"I don't know. I mean, they didn’t look like they were flirting though. They seemed to be arguing," she told me. I knew she couldn’t be lying. She was my best friend, wasn’t she?

“Just talk to him. I know he still loves you. He’s just lost. Find him, Alison. Find him,” Jennifer spoke again. I nodded and then said a hurried goodbye to Jennifer.

The rising pain in my chest was growing, making me double over in pain. My heart felt so heavy with all the hurt. I knew Jennifer couldn't be lying. I didn’t know whether to scream or hide my pain. Just then Jeremy entered the room, shirtless.