Chapter Twelve: Slapping Horses

"So, your dad.  Tell me about him," Bill Bennett said as we searched for Cas.  "I'm new to parenthood, and I want to know what traits a girl wants in her father."  I didn't say anything for a moment, unsure if I should tell him about Cas or my real father, which was the man walking right beside me.

I decided to tell him about my real dad.

"He's really great, a wonderful dad," I replied.  "He's letting me pursue my life goal, not his life goal for me.  He's kind, fun, and just a straight genius."

"Sounds like an amazing dad," he said.  I flashed him a smile.

"Yeah, he is."

We walked up and down three different roads.  The sun was beginning to sink below the horizon, and there was worry in my father's eyes.

"Are you sure you don't want to call this in?  Call someone?" he asked.  I shook my head, then said a silent prayer to Cas:

Cas, where are you?  We are looking for you.  It's okay; you can come.  Please come.

"Abigail?"

"Hm?"

"Did you hear me?" I shook my head once more.  "I said that we should probably head back to the house, then figure out what to do after that."

"Okay," I said, disappointed.

We walked a quarter mile back home, and we were about to head inside, but I thought I saw movement.  I squinted as I looked into the trees.

"Cas?" I whispered.  I walked into the trees with curiosity.  "Dad!"  I ran up to Castiel with my arms wide.  Before Cas could do anything, I wrapped him in a huge hug and whispered into his ear, "You're my father.  My name is Abigail."

"Abigail!  I've been looking for you!" Cas said.  Wow.  I was impressed that Cas was playing along so well.  I had expected him to say something along the lines of  "This is Abigail, and I am her father," which was a statement that was clearly obvious.

I was proud of him.

"Da--Mr. Bennett.  This is my father."  I motioned to Cas.

"I'm Castiel."

Dad looked at him, confused at the odd name.  He cleared his throat.  "Like she said, Mr. Bennett. Bill Bennett."  He offered a hand.  Castiel stared at it, confused.

"Shake it," I whispered out of the corner of my mouth.

Cas finally took Dad's hand and shook it, but far too much.  You could see the awkwardness in my father's eyes.  Finally, Cas let go.

"So, I guess you want your daughter back now," Dad said with an awkward chuckle.  "She's a great kid."  I smiled wide to try to make it less awkward, but I think it had the opposite effect.  "Would you like anything to eat?  We have some cake in the house."

"No, thank you," Cas said.  "I don't eat."

Dad's brow furrowed.  "Um...okay.  Well, it was nice to meet you.  Do you need anything, anything at all?  A ride, maybe?"

"No."

"All right, then.  If you two are okay, I guess I should probably head back."  Dad wasn't exactly sure what to do.  I found this amusing.  Dad always knew what to do.  I suppose it was a trait that he'd developed after they'd gone through more of their parenthood.

"Good luck, you guys."  He walked up the steps and opened the front door, turning to give a wave before heading inside.

I waved back.  As soon as the door shut, I pulled Cas into the woods.