Chapter Twenty: Don't Be Late

"I guess I can call you Uncle Sam," I told him.

Sam gave a small laugh. "I guess so." He smirked.

I pulled out my phone, googling "Uncle Adam," trying to find a reference for him. Let's just say I regretted that web search.

The five of us were all sitting at the table in the main room, waiting for five o'clock to approach. We still had half an hour. Adam didn't say or react much; he was still stunned from the Cage. My heart ached for him, but at least he was free. I just hoped that he would get better soon.

"Can I ask y'all something?" I said.

"Technically that was a question," said Castiel, monotone.

"Don't go all smart-ass on me," I told him. I waited a few moments, and after they didn't say anything else, I asked my question. "When y'all first met me, why did you help me? Like, I know that you help save lives and all, but with me, it was more...involved. You jumped in so quickly, like you had no second thoughts."

They were still quiet, perhaps thinking of a way to reply. Cas spoke first.

"I saw something in you. Fear, but determination and perseverance. You never give up. And there was some connection that I couldn't explain."

"I felt the connection, too," said Dean. "What the hell am I saying? I feel like I'm in a soap opera. Or maybe a Hallmark movie."

"I suppose that was the fact that I'm your daughter."

"Maybe. Or maybe it was something else, I don't know. Could have been the amulet. Or maybe the way we think."

"The way we think is heavily influenced by the fact that I'm your daughter."

"That's true, for the most part."

"Also, after all the mistakes we've made, we wanted to keep you from suffering in the way that we have seen others suffer," Sam pitched in. "How a person's life can change in an instant."

"Yeah," I said, nodding. "Well, thanks." I smiled.

"You're welcome," the three of them all said at once. For some reason, that gave me chills. Adam forced a smile, not really understanding anything that we were talking about, since he hadn't been with us the whole time during my...adventure.

In the last several minutes, we decided to get Adam hooked on Netflix. You know, something that could help him relax and enjoy. We did make sure that he wasn't watching something that would trigger any Hell memories, which he was very grateful for. Cas decided to stay with him.

As we were leaving Adam's room, I asked how much Sam had told Adam about recent events. I mentioned how Cas, Dean, and Death all played their parts in rescuing Sam from the Cage.

"Did you tell him about that?" I asked. Sam nodded. "Is he not mad?"

"I think he is, a little, but honestly, he's too tired and overwhelmed to care at the moment."

I let out a sad sigh. "Do you want me to put him to sleep or something? Like, for a few days?"

"What?" said Dean.

"To help him get some good rest. And I can try to see if I can project much happier dreams into his head, though I'm not quite sure how that will work out. It depends on how powerful his other dreams will be in fighting back."

Sam and Dean looked at each other in a nonverbal consideration, then both shrugged. "You can try it," Sam said.

"Okay. I'll talk to him about it after God leaves."