Chapter Fourteen: Are You a Cowboy?

I yawned, opening my eyes.  I sat up, squinting at the road ahead.

"Where are we?"

"Illinois.  You just missed St. Louis," said Dean.  I nodded, leaning my head back and staring at the car ceiling.  Light streamed in through the windows.  Sam's head rested against the glass; he was sleeping.

It was quiet for a moment.  Dean concentrated on the road, and I concentrated on my thoughts.

"So, this angel...Hannah?" Dean said.  "Is she--"

"I don't know where to look.  She most likely got away, though," I replied.  Dean gave a small nod.

In a few more silent moments, I came up with an idea.  Maybe I could communicate with her through the angel radio.

Hannah?  Hannah, are you there? I tried with my mind.  Did I have to speak aloud, or only think?  Cas's instruction had been vague in that area.

For a while, the broadcast was silent.

N-Nicole? I heard a reply.

Hannah!  Are you okay?

The reply came quickly.  Patrick escaped.  I barely made it out myself, but I'm fine.  I should probably stay away for some time, to make sure he doesn't use me against you again.

Okay, I said.  Just be safe.

Will do.

Silence returned.  Angel radio?  That's pretty cool.

Though, I heard a static-like noise in the background.  Probably because I wasn't really supposed to hear them, since they were angels of the Lord, and I was not.

"Hannah's okay," I told Dean.

"Wha-How do you know?" he asked.

I tapped my forehead, and he glanced at me through the rearview mirror.  "Angel radio."

"Oh, right," he said.  "Well, that's good."

Sam's head rose up, and he blinked several times with a yawn.

"Where are we?" he asked.  Dean told him the same thing that he'd told me.  I smirked, for some reason satisfied at the fact that I'd beat Sam to it.  Why?  I didn't know.

Dean reached for the radio, turning up the volume just as a new song was beginning to play.  I recognized the tune instantly, and the corners of my mouth turned upward into a grin.

Dean shot an enthusiastic look at Sam, then began to sing.

She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman that I ever seen
She had the sightless eyes telling me no lies
Knocking me out with those American thighs

Before I knew it, I had joined him.  My fear of singing in front of people just flew out the window, temporarily, despite the fact that the windows were closed.

Taking more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there
Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it

Sam smirked, gave a small laugh, then joined as well, the loudest one in our choir.

And you shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

As we sang, I felt like I'd known them all my life.  They were a part of me, and I would soon discover how much.

-