Chapter Eighteen: You're Not Priests

"Sam!"  Dean caught his brother as he collapsed to the floor.  Sam gritted his teeth, shaking as he was experiencing another vision.

"Nicole, which vision is this?" Dean asked.  "Who is dying this time?"

"Ahhh," I said, thinking under pressure.  "The mom! It's the mother."

Once Sam blinked back into the present, he was shouting Max's name, and about how he was going to kill Alice Miller.  "We have to help them."  Sam knew that last time they went after her, it was a close call.  "At least make sure nothing goes wrong."

I placed a hand on their shoulders, and then I flew them to the Millers' house.  We landed in Max's bedroom, and we all quickly found a hiding place, each of us in a room that was significant in this hour.  I turned us all invisible to ensure that we weren't caught.

Sam insisted on being in the lounge, where Max and Moose would have a conversation about their abilities.  Dean found a closet not far from the kitchen, the place that Max would try to kill his mother in.  I hid in the upstairs bedroom, where it all ended.  I took this room, since I knew that Sam and Dean would try to save Max's life, because this is where he would kill himself.  I wanted to save Max, too, but I also knew that we couldn't change time.  Besides, that was the way it was supposed to happen.  Even though I was an angel, I couldn't play God.

I closed my eyes and listened, turning on my Superman-like hearing.  It was starting.  I imagined Dean peeking through the gap between the not-quite-closed closet door and the doorframe to watch.

"You know I never did anything," Mrs. Miller told her son.

"That's right.  You didn't do anything.  You didn't stop them, not once!" Max exclaimed.

The next thing I heard was Moose and Squirrel bursting through the front door.

"Fathers?" said Mrs. Miller, confused.

"What are you doing here?" asked Max.

"Ahh, sorry to interrupt," said Squirrel.

"Max, can we take you outside for just one second?" asked Moose.

Max was suspicious. "About what?"

"It's...it's private.  We wouldn't want to bother your mother with it.  We won't be long at all though.  I promise."

"Okay..."

"Great."

There was hardly any noise for a few moments as they began to exit the house.  That's the moment that I knew Max had noticed the gun tucked into Squirrel's waistband.

I heard the door slam under Max's control, as well as all of the blinds shut.

"You're not priests," Max said.

-

Ten minutes had passed since I brought Sam and Dean to the Millers' house.  Sam sat in the corner of the lounge, waiting patiently for his part of the show.  A few minutes later, it did.  He stood to his feet to get a better view.

He watched Moose and Max sit down and begin their conversation.  Moose tried to convince Max that what he was doing was wrong, and that killing his mother too wouldn't change anything.  After a little while, he discovered that their mothers had died the same way, killed by the same thing.

"...you gotta let your stepmother go," said Moose.

Max was quiet, thinking.  Then he shook his head.  "No. What they did to me, I still have nightmares.  I'm so scared all the time; like, I'm just waiting for that next beating.  I'm so sick of being scared all the time!  I just want this to be over!"