Chapter Nineteen: That's Beary Interesting

"Sam, Dean, Nicole!" said Cas as we entered the bunker.  "You're back so soon!  Did something go wrong?"  From Castiel's perspective, we'd just gone out the door.

"Not at all," I said.   "We just decided to come back at the same time we left.  Back here in good old 2015."

Castiel nodded.  "Yes, of course."

Dean went into the kitchen and got two beers: One for him, and one for Sam.  I settled with a Coca-Cola.

"So, you've completed all three trials?" asked Cas.

I nodded.  "Yeah.  Not exactly the way we'd planned it, though."

Sam smirked, and Dean raised his eyebrows in agreement as he took a gulp.

We filled Cas in on what happened.

"So, if you've completed all of the trials, where's God?   What's next?" Dean asked.

"He told me he'd return in a dream," I said.  "I guess that will be tonight?"

"Ah," Dean said, nodding.  "Right."

I got up from the table and went to go check on Adam.  Perfect timing, too, because he was just regaining consciousness as I walked in.

"Hey," I said.   He rolled over to look at me.

"You...you're the one who saved me," he said.

"Yeah," I said.

"Thank you."

"You already thanked me, and it's not necessary."

He gave a small nod, then stared at the ceiling for a couple of minutes.   Probably still trying to process that he was finally free.  My heart ached for him.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.   "Would you like something to eat?"

He looked back at me.   I could see pain in his eyes, which he tried to hide and ignore.

"I could really use a hamburger."  He forced a smile.

The corners of my mouth turned upward as well.  "Of course.  I'll get you one right now."

I flew over to a place called Jiffy Burger and got Adam what he asked for.  By the time I returned to his room, he'd pulled himself up into a sitting position.

I handed him the burger and a drink.

"Thanks," he said.  He immediately began to eat it, savoring every bite.

I sat in a chair beside his bed for several minutes, not saying a word.  Adam didn't talk either, for he was eating very slowly.  I wasn't quite sure what to do next.

"Um...is there anything else you need?" I asked.

He shook his head.  "No, this is great."

I heard footsteps, and Sam entered the room.  I rose to my feet.  "Adam."

Adam turned his head, making eye contact with his half brother.  "Sam?"

"Hi."

I could sense some tension between them.  After all, Sam had been rescued from the Cage long before Adam.  I headed for the door awkwardly.

"Wha-what happened to you?" Adam asked Sam.   "Where did you go?"

Sam approached the bed, taking my seat.

"Which part of me?" Sam forced a smile.

"Both, I guess."

"An angel pulled out my body, and that didn't go so well...and then Death got my soul..."