Desert Village

A train attendant poked Gray in the shoulder to tell him that they were almost at the desert. 

"Nngh. Wha?" He opened his eyes to see the attendant looking down at him.

"We're about an hour or so away from your destination, sir." He said.

"Oh, thanks." Gray replied and sat up. The attendant smiled and returned to his spot in the front of the train car. Gray looked to his left to see hat Lucy was still sleeping. After a couple minutes of totally-not-watching-her, Gray woke her up.

"Huh?" She wiped her eyes.

"We're almost there." He informed her.

"Okay." She stretched.

"It's already so hot." Gray stripped his shirt off. Lucy agreed. They got back up on the seat next to each other and watched out the window. Trees and other vegetation were sparse and soon the only plant life was grasses. They watched as the grasses also disappeared and then soon it was only dirt and sand. Lucy noticed that they were the only people in the car and hoped that they weren't the only people on the entire train. Within fifteen minutes, the train slowed to a stop and the conductor's voice came through the speakers.

"Attention, passengers." He said. "We have arrived at the final stop." Lucy and Gray got off the train and took in their surroundings. The station was only a big slab of stone with a couple small buildings on it and three different paths branching off of it. They found the path that the job request told them to and started walking down it. The sun blazed down on the two and it was the hottest weather that they had ever felt. Lucy suddenly summoned Virgo.

"Are you going to punish me, princess?" Virgo asked.

"No." Lucy sighed. "Can you bring us some better clothes?" She asked.

"Sure. I'll be right back." Virgo went to the spirit world and returned seconds later. "Here." She handed Lucy a bundle of clothes and then gave some to Gray.

"Thanks!" Lucy smiled. Virgo bowed and went back to the spirit word. Lucy went behind a rock to change and Gray went behind a different one. When Lucy came out, Gray was standing there wearing tan shorts and no shirt. Lucy wore a pink top (Like the one she wore in the Galuna Island arc) and shorts that matched Gray's. They started walking again. After an hour of walking, Lucy broke the silence.

"Hey, Gray?" She said tiredly. 

"What?" He replied.

"Can I have some ice?" She asked. "Like- a shard or something like that?"

"Why?" He raised an eyebrow. 

"Just do it, please." She stopped walking. He shrugged and made her a decent sized shard of ice.

"There." He passed it to her.

"Thanks." She took it and started licking it. 

"What are you doing?" He asked. Lucy just hummed happily and continued to lick the ice. He smiled and made a shard for himself, thinking that that was a good idea. After they finished the ice and walked for another hour or two, the decided to take a break on a rock.

"I'm pretty sure I'm melting." Gray sat down next to Lucy.

"Me too." She agreed. "Let's try not to think about the climate."

"How?" Gray asked.

"Hmm." She thought."Just pretend you're in a sauna or something!"

"I hate saunas." Gray  stared into the distance. Lucy glared at him.