Chapter 8

"I don't want you to talk to Britney anymore."

Those freaking words echoed in my head continuously and I could not feel anything. No emotion. No feeling.

I have gone through thick and thin with Britney. She has always been there for me when no one else was. I really cannot imagine my life without this girl ! She changed me from a pessimistic human being into an optimistic one. She gave me hope whenever I was facing troubles and she always lent me her shoulder to cry on whenever I needed it. I just don't feel like letting her go , she is my human diary , my best friend.

"But mom !" I tried to protest , with tears welling up in my eyes.

"No buts , Alexa. I said no and that's my final decision ," mom said sternly while eyeing me deeply.

I swear if looks could kill , I would already be three feet beneath the ground by now. My mother's death glares are terrifying as hell.

"Mom , I have known her for more than five years already ! What's wrong with you ?!" I retorted , my voice cracking at the last spoken words.

"She is not the kind of person with whom you should hang out with."

"And why is that ?" I asked with my arms crossed in front of my chest.

"She was totally drunk yesterday ! I don't know what else she's up to and I don't want you to ruin your reputation by hanging out with such brats !" She yelled this time , anger evident in her voice.

"Your mother is right , Alexa. A favorite has no friends ," dad added while placing his cereal bowl in the kitchen sink.

"I'm not a favorite !" I snapped at my parents and made my way to my room.

Due to the consequences , I really did not feel like attending school. I would mostly end up in my room , alone , sobbing and whining over my misery.

After all , I don't think I would be able to ignore Britney. I guess I will just not pay heed to what my mother said and I will pretend like nothing's wrong.

Half an hour later , I changed my mind and decided to finally go to school. It will be much more easier for me to pretend like nothing really happened this morning.

I took a shower within ten minutes and I chose to wear a blue tank top with my pair of black jeans. I did not apply any make-up , excluding my lip balm. I then tied my hair into a bun hastily and hurried downstairs.

My parents have already left home for work and I guess they already took Samantha with them. I therefore seized the opportunity to ask my brother to drop me to school that morning.

He did not make a fuss about it and lead me to school in a rush.

"Why are you in such a haste ?" I asked my brother who was driving in a quite high speed.

"I have a meeting."

"With ?" I asked , with my eyebrows furrowed.

"Alexa , listen. Amber just landed here from Australia today and I'm going to fetch her from the airport after dropping you to school this morning ," he said without any pause and smiled widely.

"Oh that's great !" I beamed at my overjoyed brother.

"Please , don't tell anyone about it ," he told me with begging eyes. "I trust you , little sister."

"Okay big brother , my mouth is sewed ," I said and giggled at our childishness. "But hey ! Where are you going to drop her after taking her from the airport ?"

"I already booked a hotel room for her. Everything's planned ," he said with a wink.

"Good then. You should maybe bring her home one day ," I trailed off.