Chapter 18

"By the way , you owe me an explanation young lady ," my mother said in a sharp tone , eyeing me suspiciously.

"Uh what do you mean ?" I asked her in a low voice , trying my best to sound as normal as possible.

I knew exactly what she wanted to know. She was being suspicious about my last night's adventure. She was just curious about my absence and it was quite obvious after all.

"You know exactly what I mean Alex ," she said and I gulped.

"Yesterday when I was back home , there was no one here ," I started and looked at my finger embarrassingly.

"So ? What happened next ?" My mother asked and furrowed her eyebrows at me , in confusion.

Throughout our conversation , I could not help but stare at her tummy. My future little sibling is growing and only about four months is left before his birth.

"Reply me Alexa !" My mother now yelled , breaking my endless thoughts at once.

"I w-went to stay a-at a f-friend's place ," I stuttered at my words and mentally slapped myself for being such a kid. Why had I stutter ?!

"And do I know that friend ?" A masculine voice abruptly asked from behind.

"Dad ! Where were you ?" I asked and gasped. I was taken aback by his sudden appearance , I do not recall seeing him in the kitchen before that.

"Just peeping through the living room's curtains ," he said and smirked at me but his emotion changed very quickly and anger eventually took its place.

"Okay Alex , who is that friend ?" My mother said and approached me at once.

I was starting to feel suffocated because my parents were obviously taking this issue too seriously. At times , they do not care at all but when they do , they become the most over-protective parents ever seen.

"His name is Stephan ," I said in a low voice but loud enough for them to hear me.

"I have no idea who is that boy ," my father uttered and frowned at me with a confused look on his face.

"Me neither ," my mother added and placed both of my hands on her hips , she was evidently annoyed.

"He is the basketball team leader and I befriended him in one of my many classes I attend to ," I explained in a rush and I could feel my hands sweating.

"Oh so he is the basketball team leader , huh ?" My father asked teasingly and wiggled his eyebrows at me. At first , I thought that he was just teasing me but a few seconds later , his expression changed and furry was the only visible emotion on his face.

"Gosh , is he Mr. William's son ?" My mother asked worriedly and placed her right hand in front of her mouth , gasping as if she just met with a ghost.

"What's wrong ?" I asked bewilderedly and got up from my previous seat at the island table.

"He is the reason why I got fired from work ," my father replied me , referring to his previous job which was in town.

"Oh ," was the only word I could utter at the moment.

Now I get it. I finally understood why my parents were so over-protective. Everything became clearer and clearer but I did not like the way it was ending at all.

"And you stayed at his place ?" My mother asked again and I tried my best to remain as calm as I could.

"Yeah , I had no other choice ," I said with all honesty and shrugged lamely. "I would not live in the street , would I ?"