Chapter 20

I stomped downstairs and gasped on seeing my mother leaning against the island table in the kitchen. She was screaming in pain and that was when I realized that her pregnancy already reached more than eight months.

I called Ashton immediately and he came in the kitchen at once. He was apparently playing video games in his room because the noise explained it all.

"Bring her outside , I'll go open the car meanwhile ," my brother said hurriedly.

I helped my mother to walk until the front door and once we reached there , Ashton carried her to the car and placed her in the backseat delicately , not wanting to hurt her more.

Just before closing the house front door , Samantha came running to me and begged me to let her come along.

"Dad's still in the bakery ?" Ashton asked me while driving at full speed on the rather empty road.

"Yeah I guess so ," I managed to say although I could not remove my gaze from my mother.

I then texted my father , telling him to join us at the clinic.

We reached our destination within ten minutes , thanks to Ashton's fast driving. I was grateful for still being safe and sound after such a careless and dangerous ride , that made my adrenaline rush way more than it should.

Ashton carried mom inside the clinic until some nurses came an lent a hand. They immediately sent my mother to the emergency zone where she would get immediate and prompt treatment.

I then took Samantha with me to wait in the huge waiting room.

"Is mother okay ?" My little sister asked me with her puppy eyes.

"Yes sweetie , there's nothing to worry about ," I said , trying to comfort her with my few trembling words.

We waited for one more hour until my aunt appeared.

"Your father told me to drop you two home since Lilian is not leaving the clinic any sooner ," she explained in evident rush.

Not wanting to argue and complain about the matter , I nodded in understanding and held Sam's hand in mine. We then exited the clinic and made our way towards Aunt Marie's jeep.

The latter dropped us home and once we reached there , Samantha was in a deep slumber already.

It was quite obvious because the clock indicated ten o'clock and my little sister usually goes to bed at nine thirty.

After placing her in her cosy little bed , I went directly into my room and threw myself on the bed tiredly.

Maybe I was exhausted by everything that happened , but I was not feeling sleepy at all. But deep inside , there was a little fear arousing through me. More like a feeling of worry.

I unplugged my phone from its charger and messaged Britney about it. I told her about my mother being in the clinic and I honestly hoped that she forgot about the topic where I was absent and all.

The baby is coming !
-Brit.

My best friend replied within seconds and I chuckled at her text. She was excited while I was currently dying with worry.

Can you come home right now ?
-Me.

I asked her the question I should not be asking. But I really had to meet her in order to relate the various discussions about my transfer of school.

Now ?!
-Brit.

Yes now , pretty please.
-Me.

Okay , prepare some coffee for me then. ;)
-Brit.