Chapter Three: A Ride

“Jayson,” Daniel said as I sat at my desk at work. “Look at Mason – He’s actually working.”

“Shut up! Daniel!” Mason growled as he began to talk on the phone. I chuckled as Mason switched to his professional voice. I honestly could say that I missed working with Mason and Daniel – Daniel and I kept each other entertained most days. Spitball fights, prank calls, you name it – we did it. I chuckled as Daniel shot a smashed can at Mason’s head.

Hell, we were telemarketers – We had the worst jobs so we needed to do something to entertain ourselves. Mason was always the stickler to the rules but he would constantly get yelled at for things we did.

I chuckled as Mason grabbed another phone call, giving Daniel and I the evil eye. He hated that we all got paid the same even though he actually did his job.

“Jayson,” Mason said hanging up his call quickly.

“What?” I asked.

“Zack’s car broke down and he needs a ride to work,” Mason replied. “Could you go? My phone is busy and Daniel’s license was suspended.”

“Fine! But I’m not coming back,” I chuckled. “I’m taking a half day.”

“Whatever just do it,” Mason nodded as he picked up another call.

“I’m out of here,” I chuckled as Daniel groaned. Daniel’s license was suspended? I wonder what for. What am I saying? It’s Daniel I should expect something like that. I grabbed my things, telling my boss that my friend was in trouble so I was taking the rest of the day off. He had no qualms letting me go. Our boss was pretty chill when he wanted to be especially in emergency situations.

I slid my bag into my car seat, as I drove back to the apartment to get Zack. It was the afternoon – for Pete’s sake. Who wanted a lap dance at that time? Probably old retired men. Maybe he was doing a birthday party or something? Whatever I don’t know about strippers.

I pulled up outside of the apartment building honking my horn. I chuckled as Zack came out a few minutes later in a fireman suit. He was a stripper no doubt.

“Thanks for the ride Jayson,” he said sliding into the passenger seat. “I know you don’t really like me that much but I appreciate it.”

“We’re roommates,” I retorted. “How could I refuse? Are you ready to go? Got your thongs and stuff? All oiled up?”

“How about you take my shirt out and find out for yourself?” he teased, licking his lips.

“Why do you do that?” I asked angrily.

“Do what?” he asked innocently.

“Bring everything back to sex,” I snorted. 

“It’s a force of habit,” he chuckled. “I can’t help it especially when I’m around someone as cute as you."

“Whatever,” I replied. Zack laughed . I rolled my eyes as my phone vibrated in my cup holder. Before I could grab it, Zack did, his eyes flickering at the screen.

“Who’s Noah?” Zack asked. 

“Give me my phone, Zack,” I growled trying to grab it from him, but he maneuvered every single attempt. Just as I was about to get it, he slid it down his pants. I narrowed my eyes in anger. I couldn’t believe he had did that. The fucking asshole had put it down his crotch. What were in in high school again?

“Come and grab it,” Zack smirked, tracing his hand down his groin.

“Are you this desperate to get laid?” I groaned holding my hand out. “Give it to me. Zack, please!”

“Fine! Fine!” he sighed. “Don’t have a cow.”

I watched as he pulled my phone out, handing it to me. I shoved it back into the cup holder, flickering my eyes back to the road, as I drove Zack to work.

“So, who’s Noah? Is he an ex?” Zack asked curiously. “I just figured he was an ex because you fought me to get the phone, yet you didn’t even listen to the voicemail.”

“Fuck off,” I growled not looking at him. I didn’t want to talk about Noah at all. I sure as hell didn’t want to talk about him with Zack. What did Zack even know about me? He just met me. I mean why does he even care about my ex?

“Bad break-up? I get it,” Zack sighed. “I’ve gone through my fair share of those.”

“What? They couldn’t take your lifestyle?” I retorted sarcastically. Zack didn’t answer me, glancing out the window.  Hm – I must have hit a sore spot for him.

“What? You’re not going to talk now?” I continued. “Zack? Fine. Noah is my ex. He and I had been together for two years. He’s younger like ten years younger. He’s in college.”

“Oh,” Zack nodded. “So, you’re into younger guys?”

“Don’t get any ideas,” I snorted. “I was in love with him. I’m still in love with him.”

“So, what happened?” Zack asked. “Let me guess, he cheated on you with a college guy.”

“It’s much more complicated than that,” I huffed. “You think I would leave the guy that I love over him screwing a college guy.”

Something as trivial as him sleeping with another guy for fun wouldn’t have destroyed our relationship. It was much more than that. He and I moved past him cheating once and we could do it again. I wish he had cheated on me with a college guy that was more understandable. But what Noah did – I just didn’t get.

“So, why did you two break up then?” he asked. “I’m just curious.”

“It’s a long story that I’d rather not go into right now,” I replied. “Is that fair?”

“Alright,” Zack nodded as I pulled up to his job. “But if you’re ever feeling down, I’ll get you a free lap dance. It doesn’t even have to be from me as much as I would like to be.”

I rolled my eyes – a free lap dance. Who am I kidding? What guy would refuse that? I mean if Zack wasn’t giving it, I’d be all for it. It may make me feel a tad bit better about my life.

“Thanks Zack,” I laughed. “I appreciate it.”

Zack nodded as he walked off into the strip joint. I glanced at my phone, sighing as it played the voicemail message that Noah had left. As much as I wanted to erase it, like I had been doing for the past two weeks, I didn’t. I just wanted to hear his voice again.

Jayson, this is Noah. I know you’re avoiding my calls. Talk to me. I never wanted to hurt you . . .

I erased it there, refusing to listen to the rest. I drove off, tossing my phone out the window, as I made my way to the nearest bar.