Chapter Thirteen: An Understanding

“Class dismissed,” Professor Timothy, my statistics teacher declared, as I shoved my books into my backpack. It felt weird being back in school, considering I was thirty and I hadn’t been in school since I was nineteen. That was when I got kicked out from NYU. Let’s just say I was quite the partier. But at least, I wasn’t the only thirty year old here. Thank god for community college.

I quickly pulled my phone out, texting Zack, as I walked out of the classroom within a crowd of people.

Just got out of class.

Just as I turned the corner of the hallway, my eyes caught sight of a familiar blonde. Noah. He was standing in the middle of the hallway smiling and laughing with Liam. That was something I hadn’t seen in a while.  I guess he was better. I chewed on my lower lip, watching the two of them. Of course Liam would be there to pick up the pieces when Noah fell apart.

My throat began to burn as my mouth grew incredibly dry all of a sudden. I turned around quickly, just as Noah’s eyes met mine, quickly moving to the opposite end of the hallway. I dodged into a staircase, rushing down the steps leading out into the parking lot. Feelings of nausea overcame my body as I slid into my car.

That had been close. I couldn’t see Noah. I just couldn’t do it.

“What’s wrong?” Zack asked when I got home that evening. “You’re unusually quiet.”

“Nothing,” I sighed. “I’m just thinking of transferring.”

“Why?” Zack groaned. “Jayson, you’re doing so well. Why transfer? I mean you’re getting good grades there.”

“Noah goes there now,” I mumbled running my fingers through my hair. “I saw him in the hallway.”

Zack chewed on his lip. “Did you talk to him?”

“No,” I said shaking my head. “Of course not. I couldn’t.”

“Of course, he’d go to the same school as you,” Zack growled, sucking his teeth. “This is just another one of his tactics to get you back. I know it is. What’s next? Is he a business major now too?”

I grabbed Zack’s hand squeezing it tightly. “Babe. Don’t worry about it. I’ll transfer out.”

“No! You can’t,” Zack growled. “You’re doing well. If anyone should transfer, it’s him. But I know he won’t do that. So, just keep your distance. You can’t just walk away from something because your ex is there, Jayson.”

“You’re right,” I nodded. “I’m being stupid.”

Zack was right. I couldn’t transfer just because of Noah. That would be stupid. I can’t avoid him my whole life. I’d just have to deal. I mean I was the one who had suggested he take classes at the community college. It was partly my fault, but did he have to take them with Liam? He knew Liam was in love with him. Hell practically the entire world knew. I’m not surprised Liam jumped back into Noah’s life as soon as I was out of the picture and Noah was vulnerable.

I rolled my eyes just at the thought. I glanced back over at Zack as he flipped the pages in his history book, taking notes. I placed a kiss on the side of his neck, affectionately.

“Jayson,” Zack smirked. “Stop turning me on. I’m trying to read about Abe Lincoln.”

“Sorry,” I winked, not actually at all sorry for what I was doing. “I can’t help myself when I’m around you.”

“I know the feeling,” Zack said his eyes glued to the pages of his textbook.

The very next week, I did my best to avoid Noah. I took Zack’s advice. I’d see him in the hallway occasionally but I wouldn’t even as much as look in his direction. But I could always feel him looking at me. I never acknowledged his presence and he never said a word to me. He knew how I felt and he wasn’t going to push it, which I was surprised at. Noah usually isn’t so passive. Maybe he was growing up.