Chapter 16 - Forever and Always

Danny's P.O.V

Gulping I muttered, "What is this about?"
"Um...." The female officer glanced at Emma, Mark and Glen, "Could we have a private word?"
"Yes, course." I coughed, nodded goodbye to the lads and Emma as I followed the officers away from the ward.
Once we got back to the canteen, the officers led me to a small table away from all the other people, nervously visiting a friend or relative.
"Take a seat," The male officer growled pointing to the chair near a window, "Now Mr O'Donoghue, we have been informed about what's happened with Iris and her mother.."
The female police woman interrupted, "Clearly Iris's mother is not in a fit metal state to look after a baby..."
"What does this mean? Can I adopt her?" I leapt in, a small ray of hope shone inside of me.
The female officer smiled only slightly, but it was definitely there, "Well... Yes."
"Thank you, thank you so much!" I almost fell of my chair with joy, beaming from ear to ear my heart thumped quicker and quicker.
"Although, firstly we will have to contact social services to try to find Iris's mother. Then you will have to go to court to realise Iris from her mothers custody. If all goes well, Mr O'Donoghue, you will be able to adopt Iris, however you will have to go to weekly meetings so social services can check you're look after her." The police man explained.
"Yes of course, thank you," I couldn't stop smiling even the idea of adopting Iris made me want to jump for joy. She was my daughter and I was prepared to fight for her.

2 days later

Danny's P.O.V

Her eyes fluttered gently and I knew she was dreaming. I do wonder where Iris's little brain takes her, does she think of her mother or what her mothers done to her? Iris's tiny hand is wrapped tightly around my finger, I will never let go and I don't think she will either. Just then Iris began to stir and her eyes opened slowly,
"Hey baby, hey angel." I whispered brushing her hair away from her face.
"Daddy," She muttered.
"That's right Iris, forever and always, don't you forget it." I kissed her cheek gently as she grinned at me for the first time in days. Suddenly there was a knock at the door,
"Come in," I called out as the two police officers from a few days ago came in. "Oh." I paused.
"Afternoon," Officer Smith (the male) scowled.
"Here, take a seat," I said sitting on the edge of Iris's bed, gesturing to the arm chairs in the corner.
"Thank you," the police woman, Officer Jackson nodded, sitting on one of the arm chairs. "So Mr O'Donoghue, we've been in contact with social services, they've been trying there best, with help from the police, to find Iris's mother. She's been tracked down in London on the run, we've been in contact with her and after doing multiple medical tests, she clearly not well. So Iris is officially up for adoption all you have to do is have a meeting with someone from social services on Monday, fill out some forms and they'll just have a look round your house to make sure it's safe for a child." Officer Jackson explained.
"Wow... Thank you... I can't believe it," I gasped hardly able to speak.
"Here's the number for social services, we've already booked an appointment for you but just in case something comes up." Officer Smith rose from his chair and handed me a slip of paper. "Goodbye, Mr O'Donoghue." I nodded goodbye and they left the room. My heart still racing and my hands still shaking, I looked over at Iris who glanced up at me, and I whispered,
"I told you didn't I, Iris. Your daddy, forever and always."