Chapter 23 - The Letter

Danny's P.O.V

Rolling over, the tiny bed creaked and I was faced with a nose full of Iris's curly hair. Sneezing, my eyes shot open, Iris was still asleep her big eyes fluttered and she was obviously dreaming. Pulling myself up from her bed, I stretched and wandered into the bath room.
After a shower and throwing on some clothes I made my way back into Iris's room. She was only just waking up, so I knelt by the side of her bed.
"Morning baby," I whispered, kissing her forehead.
"Morning Daddy," she grinned, sitting up in her bed.
"I was thinking we could go out for breakfast this morning and then you can come and visit the studio this afternoon," I said and she nodded madly, "That's settled then, let's get you dressed." Lifting Iris up from the bed, I sat her on my knee whilst rummaging through her wardrobe. I picked out a pink and white striped long sleeved shirt and a denim dungarees dress, to go over the top. Then I tied her hair up into bunches and pulled on her little pink converse.

----------------------------------------------

Wheeling Iris into Starbucks, I could see Emma wasn't there. Thank the Lord. Luckily there wasn't a queue either so we went straight to the counter.
"Hi, how can I help you?" The man at the till said blankly.
"Can we get, two croissants, a skinny latte and a..." I glanced at Iris.
"Hot choccy," she grinned kicking her legs.
"A hot chocolate," I laughed, the man still with no expression on his face, tapped away on the till.
"£13.50." He said as I handed over the cash and went to sit at a table.
Unbuckling Iris from her pushchair, I sat her down on the arm chair opposite mine.
"Here's you skinny latte, hot chocolate and croissants." A voice said. A voice I recognised. A voice I knew to well. Looking up I was greeted by the last person I wanted to see today. "Hi." Emma said shyly.
"Thanks," I said as she placed the tray in the table. Not looking her  in the eye.
"Can we talk?" She asked quietly.
"Your working."
"I'm on my break."
"Sorry but I'm having breakfast with Iris, who like you said yourself, comes first." I said, watching Emma's face fall. She nodded slowly and without another word walked away from the table.
Iris and I ate in silence, I wasn't in the mood for talking anymore. Finishing my coffee and croissant, I pushed my chair away from the table and put Iris back in the push chair.
"Daddy? You ok?" Iris muttered as I buckled her up.
"Yes Iris dear, grand." I coughed as we left Starbucks.
Walking down the street in silence, a sudden shout made me jump out of my skin.
"Dan! Danny!" I spun round to find Emma running after me. "Wait please!"
"There's nothing more to say Emma! We're done!" I called back.
She eventually caught up with me, tears running down her face and handed me a envelope. "Please just read that, it has everything I wanted to tell you." Without saying anything I shoved it into the bottom of my pocket and forgot about the letter for the rest of the day.

----------------------------------------------
Studio

"So Dan what do you think?" Mark asked sipping his tea and leaning on the sound board.
"I'm sorry, what?" I blinked coming back on the planet. Emma was running through my mind, the image of her windswept hair and salty tears streaming down her rosy red cheeks as she chased after me, earlier today. I didn't know if I could ever forgive her, but part of me really wanted to.
"God Danny! You hardly on the planet! What are you thinking about?" Glen sighed, "Emma?" I shrugged.
"You've got to move on from her Dan! She's not worth it after what she did to you!" Mark said, throwing his take away coffee cup across the studio and into the bin.
"I wish I could guys! But I loved her! It's not that easy," I bit my lip, "Anyway, I should probably go it's almost Iris's bed time."

----------------------------------------------

Iris was down for the night after many episodes of 'Lazy Town' and two mugs of warm milk, she was finally asleep. Once back down stairs I collapsed onto the sofa, it had been a long emotional day and I really just wanted a drink. Pulling a bottle of Jack Daniels off the wine rack I remembered that my bottle opener was in my coat pocket. Laying my jacket out on the table and rummaging in the pockets I suddenly came across the letter that Emma had given me. Heart beating I unfolded the paper and began to scan the words in her scrawled, scribbled writing.

Danny,
I'll tell you the truth, I've never liked someone as much as I liked you. I thought we were the real thing, I thought you were my soul mate and if I'm honest I don't think I'll ever find another Daniel John Mark Luke O'Donoghue.
I'm so sorry about the things I said, of course Iris comes first, I don't know what I was thinking. I never had a dad you see and my mother died when I was born. I never had anyone to put me first. Anyone to look out for me. I guess I was just got jealous of how much you love Iris and how lucky she is to have a farther like you.

I'm sorry again, I hope we can move on.
Emma xxx
P.S I love you.

"I love you to." I whispered in the dark, to no one. Before, wiping my eyes, scrupling up the letter and throwing it away for good.