Chapter 22 - The Only Girl

Emma's P.O.V

He ignored my last text of course, couldn't be bothered to reply, had better things to do, didn't want to speak to me. Ugh. I huffed and flung my phone across  the sofa and put my feet up on the coffee table. No. Wait a minute no! I wasn't going to let Danny blow me off again, I would surprise him! Yes! I could bring a picnic like on our first date but we could have it in his living room if he couldn't leave the house. Just then I snapped into action gathering a picnic of wine, cheese, crackers and chocolate (the only things I had in the fridge).

Danny's P.O.V

Iris had finally settled down after multiple chapters of 'The Big Book of Princess's'. Suddenly the door bell rang, luckily Iris didn't stir. Rushing down the stairs, I opened the front door. Emma.
"Hey!" She grinned, standing on the door step.
"What are you doing here?" I questioned, rubbing my eyes. God it was exhausting juggling a band and a baby.
"Why? Not happy to see your girlfriend?" She smiled again and kissed my cheek gently.
"Sure, but I told you I'm busy! I really can't come out tonight!" I explained.
"That's why I came to you!" She paused, "You gonna let me it? It's frigin' freezing out here."
"Come in," I gestured her into the kitchen, "So why are you here?"
"Well, I bought a picnic for us!" She began to unpack her hamper on the kitchen table, "I have red wine, white wine and..."
"No!" I exclaimed, not meaning it to come out quite so loud, "Sorry... But I mean I really can't tonight, I seriously need to sleep and be completely here for Iris."
"Course." Emma said shortly, sighing and angrily stuffed the various cheeses back into the hamper, "Iris comes first."
"You can't be serious!" I shouted, "Of course Iris, bloody, comes first! She's my daughter."
"She's not though is she Danny! She's just some kid you found!" That was below the belt! How dare she! I was so angry it was unreal!
"You have no idea do you?"
"Your the one that has no idea! Do you know how rejected I've been for weeks! I haven't seen you and all because of that stupid baby!" Without saying another word I walked into the hall and opened the front door.
"Leave." She left.

The door slammed behind Emma and I stormed up the stairs, my blood was boiling, my hands were shaking, anger surged through my body like a tidal wave. Once in my bedroom I collapsed onto the bed, I didn't want to see anyone. Just then Iris crept into my room, "Daddy..."
"Iris please!" I shouted slamming my hands down on the bed and throwing a pillow across the room. She screamed.  Ran out crying and my heart sank. I could hear her muffled sniffs into her pillow and the guilt broke my heart. Breathing heavily, I pulled myself out of the duvet cocoon and trudged into Iris's room.
"Iris..." I whispered, she rolled over to face the wall and not look me in the eye. "Iris I'm sorry." Kneeling by her bed I could just about make out her little body curled up in a ball, in the dark. After a few minutes of silence, she rolled over and looked at me,
"Don't do that again." She sniffed wiping her eyes.
"Never." I said as Iris held out her little finger, I linked mine as a pinky promise. She smiled at me, sat up in her bed and wrapped her arms around me.
"I love you." She grinned and that's all I need to here. Iris was the only girl I needed in my life, I didn't need Emma or any girlfriend at that. I needed to focus on my daughter, she came first.
As Iris pulled away, I clambered into her bed. A six foot man in a toddlers bed may seem impossible but with my knees almost at my head I managed it. We stayed there all night, curled up in one another's arms, me and my baby, forever no one else mattered.