Un

The sound of birds chirping and wind blowing through leaves wakes me up. I take a deep breath and stretch a little before I fully open my eyes.

The room around me is familiar, but not mine. The walls are wooden panels, painted white and the furniture chocolate colored hardwood, finished with a nice gloss. I clearly forgot to close the window before I went to sleep, since it is propped open, allowing the fresh lake breeze to come in.

I toss the thick white comforter off of me and place my feet on the cool hardwood floor. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, inhaling for a long time before exhaling.

My head hurts a little and my body aches in an uncomfortable way. I'm constantly reminded of the accident that happened two months ago.

Downstairs, Beth is making breakfast and I could smell it the moment I walked out of my room. The house is warm, filled with summer air and the smell of pancakes and freshly mowed grass.

I sit at the island in the center of the kitchen, resting my elbows on the marble counter. This house is so modern yet it looks a lot like a chic lake house. Normally, my family came here during the summer and at Christmas time, but this year it was different. It's mid August and I was here with my aunt because my parents thought some time away would be best.

"Morning," Beth smiled.

Beth is in her early thirties, not married and running her own business from him. Her golden hair resembles my mothers and they even have the same blue eyes. Unmarried and not in any relationship, my parents thought she could take me in for a while while I recover.

"Good morning," I replied, "what are you doing today?"

"I have a bunch of conference calls I have to make - such a snooze fest, honestly. Then, I'm going to run to Sally's... unless you want to?"

She was giving me her best pleading face, and I couldn't ever say no to her, especially because she was letting me stay here.

I nodded, "okay, what should I get?"

Beth smiled widely. "I have a list. It's small but I definitely need these things."

"Alright."

Silence filled the void between us. Outside I could hear someone mowing their lawn as it echoed off the trees and through the woods. I missed the city hum, and sometimes the silence that came with the lake house was too much.

"How are you feeling today?" Beth asked, her tone a little more serious.

I cleared my throat a little. "I'm getting okay."

"Your parents said they might come up this weekend. They've been so busy with work that they haven't had the chance -"

I cut her off, "they're avoiding me, Beth. I'm not stupid. Whenever mom sees me she nearly bursts into tears and dad gets all stiff. I'm a reminder of why Charlie isn't here."

"Olive," she used my nickname, "you know that isn't true. That car accident wasn't your fault-"

"I lost myself in that car and I'm never going to be that girl again," I stated, "my life is never going to go back to normal, especially if mom and dad think keeping me here will help."