Treize

The black jeans in wearing seem to make my legs go on for days, something I'm not used to considering how short I am, but even my over the knee boots help create this dramatic effect. I adjust my blouse that might be cut a little too short at my chest, but I'm trying not to make it too revealing by tugging up at the collar and sleeves.

My hair is straight for the first time in forever and when I brush my fingers through it, it for once feels silky. Again, I analyze myself in the mirror, hoping that nothing is wrong, but I always seem to pick out something. I huff loudly, giving up on my imperfections before going down the steps and grabbing my coat and cross body purse.

"Where are you going? You smell really nice." Beth was smirking and she had an eyebrow raised in curiosity and amusement.

"I'm going out with Brad," I shrugged, hoping she wouldn't catch my blushing cheeks or tiny, yet excited smile.

"You're going on a date?" It sounded more like a question then a statement, but I barley knew the answer. I don't know what Brad and I are, so for now, I'm keeping it simple.

"Just two friends going out to dinner."

Beth rolls her eyes. "Oh, please, Liv."

I shake my head at her, but smile. "I'll see you in a few hours - I won't be back late, promise."

"Just stay safe," Beth sighed, "I mean it."

"I know, Beth."

I'm walking out the door when she catches my wrist. When I turn to look at her she looks worried and I know why.

"Don't forget why you're here. There is a big difference between moving on and ignoring. I know that you feel like you're in love, trust me I've been in your spot so many times. All I want is for you to learn how to heal yourself."

I stare at her, blinking on a few times in the minutes that follow. There is this aching in my throat that I cannot explain, but I know she is right even though I can't tell her I agree.

"He's helping me," I breathed.

"But what's the outcome of this, Olivia?"

I clear my throat, hoping to get rid of the lump of sadness forming within it. I fail and my voice shakes as I speak. "Since the accident I've been so numb to everything, but I feel something with him, Beth. I know it's not perfect. Hell, I don't even know if he loves me back, but I like the way he makes me feel and I'm willing to hold on to the for as long as I can."

The sound of a car beeping catches us off guard and I glance out the screen door to see Brad in the drivers seat of the jeep. He waves and smiles and my heart lurches.

I look back at Beth who looks a bit speechless, so she nods and let's me go, telling me to be safe for the second time.

Brad greets me with a contagious smile and a soft hello before I buckle up. He gently presses down on the gas and we're off. I give Beth's house one last glance before looking off into the road before us.

His hand in on my thigh now, gripping it enough for me to know my place right now. I look over at him and take in his beautiful feature while he's focused on the road.

"Since when can you drive?" I asked.

He glanced over at me. "Quite honestly, I can't. Back home I'm a pro," he chuckled, "but here, I just learned how. Jeremy let me drive a few days ago."

"Should I be nervous?" I laughed.

"No, you're safe with me," he smiled.