Sept

Brad and I parted by the pier, saying out goodbyes with flirty smiles and giggles. He pulled me into a hug; a hug that I didn't think I needed until right now. When he pulled away I felt my heart ache for more of him.

"Tonight was nice," I said. "We'll do it again."

"Oh, we definitely will," he smirked.

I giggled, feeling my cheeks blush wildly. He leaned in and gave me a lasting kiss on my lips.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

I nodded and gave him a short wave goodbye. When he was too far too see, I turned around and made my way back to Beth's. The entire way home I felt like I was on cloud nine, I was smiling to myself like a little girl who had a crush on a boy.

The porch light was on, but I didn't notice anything else considering my thoughts were elsewhere. I pushed open the front door and sighed, overcome with happiness. For the first time in months I felt normal.

It didn't last long though because my parents stood in front of me, staring at me with wide eyes. I nearly screamed at the sight of them, horrified that they could have been standing there that whole time and I didn't notice.

"Where have you been?" mom cried, "we've been worried sick, Olivia!"

"I went swimming-"

"At this time?" dad questioned harshly.

"I was with a friend and we lost track of time. It's not a big deal - what are you guys doing here?!" I asked, hoping to change the subject quickly.

"We had to check up on you. Beth told us that you've been better and we wanted to see for ourselves," mom insisted.

Mom's golden blonde hair was up in a ponytail and her blue eyes were a little watery. It looked like she hadn't gotten sleep in ages, but I wasn't even surprised. Dad on the other hand looked well rested, but he didn't look happy. His brows were furrowed, causing a crease between them. He shared his dark hair and green eyes with me but I had mom's completion.

"I'm doing better," I admitted. "I think I'm all healed physically..."

"And emotionally, how are you?" mom asked.

"It's not perfect," my voice shook, "but I've been getting better. I'm starting to feel happy again."

Mom didn't hesitate before pulling me into a hug. She hugged me tightly, brushing back my drying hair. I heard her sniffling and I knew she was crying. Dad walked up to us and rubbed her back.

"It's alright, Lily," he said to her.

Mom pulled away and held me at arms length. She looked like she wanted to say something but she refrained. I looked between them for the first time in months. It was weird having them here and I was a little annoyed that Beth didn't tell me they were coming.

"I should take a shower," I said.

They moved out of my way and let me walk through the foyer. In the kitchen Kira and Beth were sitting and talking quietly. I froze and looked at them, seeing concern written on their faces.

"Thanks for telling me they were coming," I snapped at Beth.

"Olivia-"

I ignored her, stomping up the steps to the bathroom. After peeling off my damp clothes I stepped into the hot shower. I let the water drench my entire body, also letting the steam fog up my head.

-

In the morning, I went downstairs to the smell of breakfast being made. Mom and dad were sitting at the table but I went to the refrigerator ignoring their stares.