Just a Colleague : Chapter 10

Chapter Ten : Classroom Disputes

"Sir, I would like Miss Brindells' assistance, please", a girl who barely looked younger called, smiling softly at me.

"I'm sorry Miranda, but Miss Brindell won't be teaching today", Mr Hemmings snarled, grimacing as he turned his head to me, palms still resting flat against Miranda's desk.

My teeth seeped into my lower lip as I glanced at him, watching as he turned his head back around.

"Okay, I don't need help, then", Miranda shrugged, toying with the pencil which rested between her index finger and thumb.

Mr Hemmings shrugged, flouncing towards me.

He wore an agitated expression as he lugged me out of the classroom, completely ruthless and careless.

I hissed, frowning as he dropped my wrist once he'd shoved me out of the classroom.

"Mr Hemmings, I don't believe it's fair that I'm unable to assist students, it's all part of my training. Mrs Greener informed me. I should be helping out with anything possible and I do have the ability to lend a helping hand to a student"

"Sweetheart, stop. I don't want you helping my students. I don't want you giving them the wrong idea and setting them on the wrong track. They're all intelligent and I would prefer that the trait would not be ruined by poor teaching skills", Mr Hemmings leered, acrimony lacing his tone.

I was unsettled to say the least.

I thought I had solid teaching skills, but according to Mr Hemmings, I didn't.

"Okay, sir. I'm going to duck in and see Mrs Greener. I'm thinking of going back to the year nine students because they're quite easy compared to twelve's. Mrs Greener believes I have the ability to assist those students, so I'll proceed to do so", I breathed out a sigh.

I wasn't going to waste my time teaching a year twelve classroom if Mr Hemmings wasn't going to allow me to help.

It wasn't a succour to my career.

I spun on my heel, ignoring Mr Hemmings' inaudible hisses as I started towards Mrs Greener's classroom.

Before I could revise what I was doing, I was in front of Mr Greener who was seated behind her desk.

The only audible sound throughout the classroom was the pens and pencils dancing across the thin pieces of paper.

"Mrs Greener", I whispered, leaning down slightly so I could speak with her without interrupting the students' train of thought.

Mrs Greener gasped, clutching her chest with one hand before she peered up through her rounded spectacles, using her forefinger to push the delicate item further up the bridge of her nose.

"You scared me, Quinn. Call me Mandy, please, love", she chuckled breathily, standing from her seat.

"I'm sorry for startling you Mandy. But, am I able to speak with you outside for a moment?"

"Of course, love", Mandy pursed her lips, placing her pen across the paper before she began walking towards the door.

I followed behind her, rolling my tongue across my bottom lip absentmindedly as we stepped out of the classroom.