Just a Colleague : Chapter 34

Chapter Thirty-Four : Guilty or Not Guilty?

I let out a heavy breath, clasping my clammy palms together above my thighs which were tightly pressed together. Beads of sweat began to nip at my collarbones as I swallowed thickly. I pressed my parted lips in a thin line, timidly, straightening out my posture.

"All rise", the Judge's associate cleared her throat, awaiting for the entirety of the court room to stand. "In the District Court of Sydney, Australia, in trial of Quinn Brindell against Alfie Sandalo and Sally Sandalo, we commence"

The courtroom fell silent as Judge Samuel Mahoney stepped forward into the room. In respect the entirety of the court room bowed, followed by Judge Mahoney as he strode forwards, reaching his seat. I cleared my throat quietly, nibbling on the inside of my cheek as the remainder of appearances seated themselves, including myself.

"In request, my name is Gray and I materialise in the purpose of prosecution", Prosecutor Gray spoke firmly.

"May it please the court, my name is Greig and I appear in the favour of Mr and Mrs Sandalo", Counsel Greig declared.

"If it please the court, my name is Amuel and I appear for Brindell", my lawyer continued.

"Good morning ladies and gentleman. Are both sides ready to commence?" Judge Mahoney interrogated.

"In favour of the people, Your Honor", the advocate nodded.

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor", the Public Defender stated.

"Please arraign the accused", Judge Mahoney voiced.

Mr and Mrs Sandalo stood, completely relaxed in the dock facing the bench as they awaited for the Judge's associate to speak.

"Alfie Sandalo and Sally Sandalo, both have been charged of Basic Serious Criminal Tresspass in Place of Residence. It is alleged that on the 13th of April, 2015, you entered a premises of residence by your own possession with the intentions for Quinn Brindell of unknown. It is further alleged that Alfie Sandalo, your phone had remained on the premises, more precisely, in the bedroom of the apartment.

"Alfie Sandalo, do you plead guilty or not guilty to that charge?"

"Not guilty", Mr Sandalo replied.

"Sally Sandalo, do you plead guilty or not guilty to that charge?"

"Not guilty", Mrs Sandalo reiterated.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I am Judge Mahoney. On the case of home invasion of Quinn Brindell, Alfie and Sally Sandalo are the accused. Shortly, the names of witnesses will be called and asked to stand forward and provide their evidence in favour of the prosecutor. If their are any associations you withhold which appear to be with any of those appearing as a culprit, victim, counsel or myself, please stand if you are unable to confront the court with an unbiased mind to bear on this case. I will then ask you to come forward and privately, you may tell me why you are unable to act as a juror in this case", Judge Mahoney continued.

"In witnessing of the intrusion, the prosecutor will be calling forward Officer Mark Brian and victim, Quinn Brindell", the Prosecutor declared.