Just a Colleague : Chapter 33

Chapter Thirty-Three : Pondering With Time Frames

"Do you know if you're coming up north, yet?" I interrogated, seating myself beside the dirty-blonde man.

"Quinn. Give me some space and some time to think. I have to have my mindset straight before I give my students their assessment. I need to be able to teach to the best of my abilities and ensure that they're all ready for exams and assignments. The stupid, fucking trip is the least of my worries right now", Mr Hemmings snapped. "With the court date coming up soon, it should be the least of your worries"

"Sorry, Luke. I really don't want to think about that", I sighed, feverishly rubbing at my temples.

"Sweetheart, remember where procrastinating had you end up last time? Would you like a repeat of that?" Luke quizzed sternly, raising his brows.

"No. I'm sorry", I mumbled.

"I understand that it's all stressful but we can pull through. Eventually it will be in the past", the tall man encouraged.

"Okay", I sighed.

I had been reluctant to let my mind wander to the court date because the future somewhat depended on it.

My safety depended on it.

Mr and Mrs Sandalo could percase possess power if they were constituted not-guilty.

They could possess power which has the ability to hegemonize my life because they wanted to get back at me for whatever I'd done. And the court case would only have them fuming. They'd surely have other things in mind in case they made it out of the trial. And I didn't know what to expect and I definitely wouldn't know when to expect it. So it only made matters worse.

I didn't want to be dreadful and apprehensive at all times. Sometimes I wanted to be blithe.

"Sweetheart, you're overthinking now", Luke muttered.

My head snapped in his direction, a wrathful breath leaving me.

I didn't want to overthink things.

It just happened and when it did, I could turn into a heated, vehement clutter in seconds. Not even seconds. As soon as my mind revved up to kill the stones which deciphered the line between thinking and over-embellished thinking, it got worse from there.

"Sweetheart. You're doing it again. Calm down, yeah?" Luke murmured, his hand finding my thigh.

"What am I doing again?" I groaned, flailing my arms in resentment.

"Fidgeting and sighing; over-thinking", the blonde man replied, tiresome as he retracted his hand.

"I need some air", I shook my head, gently pushing Luke's hand from my thigh as I stood.

I sauntered my way out of the classroom, voyaging out of the front doors down the hall. I was thankful that Luke's classroom was quite adjacent to the exit because the more expeditious my lungs breathed fresh air, the quicker I'd feel somewhat better and the quicker I'd be proficient in calming myself.

I felt so splenetic that I hadn't even realised the nausea which began to pulsate throughout my veins, the thin red and blue tubes ready to burst and diffuse in a heap of ashes after the sweltering, vermillion flames.