Just a Colleague : Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-Two : A Plague & Jaya's Suggestions

"That's all Officer Brian told me, Dad", I sighed, planting my chin in my palm.

"That's alright, Quinn are you guaranteed safety wherever you are?" my father interrogated.

"Luke, which is Mr Hemmings, promised me that he'd make sure I was safe when in his presence which will be often due to work. Told me to let him know if I need a lift anywhere. I have Jaya, Ashton and Michael also. I'll be fine, Dad. I have support and a few people who care. I promise you that I'll be fine", I smiled softly.

"Alright my lil' girl. If you need anything, your mother and I are also here, yeah?"

"Of course. I love you both", I nodded.

"Good, we just want you safe. We've got to duck into the supermarkets. Not too sure how long we'll be, so if you're going anywhere, let us know", my father nudged my shoulder gently, smiling down at me.

"That's fine. I'll probably see if Jaya is up for something". I chuckled, gaining a stance as my father brought me into a hug.

I let out a content sigh, my arms coiling around my fathers' torso while his held a firm grip around my shoulders. The tranquility and opulence of my father's comfort began to seep in immediately, diminishing all thoughts of the court date which was yet to be announced. I was relieved to not have something substantial on my shoulders metaphorically, even if it were only seconds until I have to gather up the weight again.

"Bye honey, love you", my mother grinned, leaning over my fathers shoulder to kiss my forehead softly.

"Bye Mum, I love you too", I offered her a smile, kissing my fathers cheek quickly before we parted.

"Stay safe, yeah?" my father cleared his throat.

"Of course", I nodded, bidding them farewell for the evening.

With a sigh, I ambled towards the couch, slumping down on it.

I didn't even know if Jaya was busy, let alone if she would be willing to have my company.

Sometimes I believed that I was just a plague unestablished by so many people.

I didn't know of many people, nor did I associate with many people. Those who I had associated with seemed content, but it was all a façade.

I knew I was a plague to people; especially Jaya. My inconvenience to her when I'd first met her at the club and when I'd asked her to collect me from the curb was, what I considered, an influx. Although she didn't display any signs of reluctance. But that was just who Jaya was. She always went out of her way to assist and please other people and I was horrible at that; a nuisance.

I was still the plague I'd come to think I was.

People abominated me but were too dreadful to abandon me. The reasoning being that no matter the outcome of the situation, they would somewhat feel bad because the people who did associate with me were all warm-hearted and unbiased on another's opinion. They'd get to know who I was and soon figure that I was just a nuisance. A plague which was a nuisance. I was something only a few people had to stumble across, and those people were considered misfortunate.