Just a Colleague : Chapter 38

Chapter Thirty-Eight : Second Thought?

"Have you actually given second thought to moving in with me?" Luke quizzed, curiosity lacing his tone.

His elbows were propped upon the desk, large palms clasped tightly around the warm cup of coffee which we'd purchased. My amber found his azure as my brows furrowed, puffing out my cheeks.

"No, Luke. I didn't think you were initially serious and I'd rather not intrude. Honestly, I'll be fine until I find somewhere eventually. I'm still indebt with you. Remember when you paid five weeks of my rent?" I sighed, shaking my head in dismissal.

"That I do, and I've already been paid. Thank you for fucking reminding me Quinn Brindell", Luke leered. "I know you'd arranged with Mr and Mrs Campbell to increase my income and reduce yours until it added up to two thousand and eight hundred. It's quite noticeable because I transfer my money into a private account weekly so I'm able to ensure that they're not overpaying or underpaying me. And I'd noticed I was being overpaid so I spoke with them and they'd informed me upon your intentions and I'm not the least bit pleased"

"Luke, I wasn't either when you paid my rent without my own consent. Of course, I was grateful. But it clearly wasn't necessary. I was at fault and you'd assisted me in that particular situation. The least I could do was repay you for your duties", I replied, my teeth seeping into my bottom lip timidly.

"I understand that you were willing to repay me. But I didn't want that, Quinn. I have plenty of money and nothing to spend it on. I was quite content with aiding you", Luke replied, resting his chin in the palm of his hand as he lowered the other, shunting the coffee in my direction.

I offered a satisfied smile, lifting the cup to my lips as the warm, chestnut liquid percolated, splashing upon my tongue as it rolled to the back of my throat with ease, pleasuring my tastebuds in a bitter yet sweet manner.

A soothed sigh tumbled from my parted lips as I planted the base of the coffee cup to the table firmly, glancing back up at Luke.

"Thank you, Luke. I value the offers very much, but I can't take from you and not return", I smiled. "Enough of that"

"Yes, back to my original question. Why did you believe I wasn't serious?"

"I didn't expect for you to be", I licked my lips, nibbling on them slightly. "It's something serious, giving someone permission to live under your roof so willingly. You expect it from your parents or partner, but not your colleague"

"Seriously, Quinn. Give it serious consideration. There is no fee for you to remain under the roof", Luke murmured, lifting the coffee cup to his lips.

"I expected that you'd say that. But I never said no fee. If I were to live under your roof, I'd pay you. And what would actually happen if we quarrelled because we're accustomed to that"

"We've established that, sweetheart. Your company would be quite the payment, I'd love some company", Luke smiled softly. "I wouldn't kick you out if there was a dispute between us, Quinn. I wouldn't let you out of the house, in fact. You could cook your wrath away or do whatever you desire in order to calm yourself and I'd do the exact same thing because I will not at all even consider putting you in a situation which could possibly be dangerous"

"Your a very great person, Luke. God, I don't expect this from you. I don't expect anywhere near it", I chuckled humorlessly.

"I'm not exactly great, Quinn. I just consider you as a person who needs assistance. A person who I'm willing to help at that", he smiled.

Luke somewhat reminded me of the ocean. The waves to be precise.

He could be so tranquil and gorgeous, just gentle and soft in general. Just the way low tide was, each bundle of water delicately folding above the other until it reached the shore where it would radiate its tranquility to the sand which had been dampened and drenched in the nature of the waves. He could have one in a state of calm and content if he desired too. The sounding of the water digging and folding beneath the sand only reinforced tranquility. He was tranquil when he wanted to be.

Other times, he'd be a cacophonous of fuming, wrathful bellows of water which thrashed at one another, each struggling to maintain their own survival of heat until they reached the shore. Nothing about this state was soothing, it was a king tide. The one which you couldn't swim in because it was basically almost a death wish at the least. You'd get caught in a viscous rip, the water turning to pure venom if you as so stirred it any more.

He could be dangerous, but it was a good dangerous. It wasn't beyond the law. He'd never lie a hand on one unless it was completely necessary and I knew that for a fact because he was Luke.

He was Luke.

And although he could be deadly, he only was if something beyond comprehensible occurred.

He was a man of compassion and love and God, it was such a shame that some people couldn't overlook the shattered sheath of him for seconds and realise who Luke exactly was. They weren't determined to bother something so precious and I was somewhat glad because the didn't deserve his presence.

Nor did I.

But I attempted to cherish it at all times, despite our disputes and moments of disliking. We found our way past it and soon disregarded it when it eventually became less important because we'd had different thing that were in our mind which needed specific attention.

A/N

Apologies for the short chapter, but as I've said quite a lot, I don't like rambling and this was all that was needed in this chapter.

I'm still struggling with some home issues and all, but I'm hoping that we'll all pull through.

Thank you for reading, guys.

Another of fivesaucebxtch_ covers which I absolutely adore, so thank you, love

Enjoy another shitty chapter!
Ily xx

~HemmingsPenguin16_96