Eleven

"Naruto, I..." Iruka brought his hand up behind his neck, his eyes straying from Naruto as the boy struggled to appear calm.

Minato had warned Iruka about this, so imagine the struggle Iruka faced as the man's son had come to ask him for this huge favor. Iruka wasn't allowed to tell Naruto anything, Minato had been very strict about the topic but still, Iruka couldn't simply decline something that meant so much to the poor boy.

"I guess... I guess I can try." He said, already sending his prayers that Minato wouldn't find out about this. He gave the boy a nervous smile. "I can't exactly promise you'll get to see her, though." Already he was regretting ever saying anything; Iruka wasn't so sure he could do this.

"An address would suffice." Naruto nodded, his voice unbelievably low and barely audible until he cleared his throat. "Minato refuses to tell me where she is. I don't mind if I don't get to see her in person, I'd at least like to know where she's at. A recent picture, a-anything!" He said that last word with desperation. "Fuck, even a single letter, if possible." Naruto looked away, his breathing becoming a bit uncontrollable to manage as his emotions hit him like a wave and he knew he would start crying soon. His throat felt dry. He could feel and hear his own heartbeat.

Iruka felt uncomfortable and pained. For once, Naruto confided in him to ask for a personal favor— a big one at that— and he wasn't sure how he would be able to do it. Kushina was a touchy subject with both Naruto and Minato, especially Naruto. How was Iruka supposed to get an address without gathering suspicion from the man himself, the only person who knew where she was?

Iruka let out a sigh, his hand still behind his neck. "I can... try." He said, wishing he could say he would for sure procure an address to give the boy at least a bit of hope.

This was really tricky.

Nodding, Naruto stood up, unable to look at the man in the eye. "Thanks, Iruka." He said, walking out of the office. He leaned on the wall outside Iruka's door and that's when he finally let it all out. All the stress, the worry, the emotions of having to speak of his mother came out silently as he squat down to bury his red, teary face.

He had done it, he had asked Iruka about the whereabouts of his mother— not that he had been nervous— but he honestly thought Iruka would flat out disagree to such favor. He was glad the man hadn't protested.

Inside the office, however, Iruka found himself troubled on how he was going to fulfill the boy's request. Just how was he supposed to get an address before Naruto's birthday? Checking the calendar, the boy's birthday was in a week from now. That meant he'd have to start searching right away if he didn't want to disappoint and crush the Uzumaki. His only hope was for Minato not to find out.

Feeling like a burden had been lifted off his chest, Naruto straightened himself out before walking to class. The bell hadn't rung yet but even still, the blond managed to regain his good mood as he began walking.

He had hoped it'd stay that way for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately for him, Sasuke had other plans to begin his transformation.

Step one had been complete as Sakura decided to go out with him. Not only was he suddenly gaining popularity rapidly, but now all Sasuke had to do was take down the Uzumaki to establish and gain the respect he deserved. An Uchiha was always one to be feared, that's what his brother once said and he was going to make sure it would be that way.

On his way towards Kurenai's counseling office, the Uchiha bumped into the blond he was set on using. "Watch it." He frowned, though was disappointed as Naruto continued walking as if the two hadn't just bumped into each other. Frowning, Sasuke decided talking to his counselor would have to wait till later as he turned and began following his target.