Chapter five

Every night I would ride Storm. I still hadn't touched a bridle or a saddle hell I didn't even ride him in a halter and a lead. We had made it to a slow canter and our bond was still a little rocky but we were working on it.

And the winter formal was this weekend. I had picked out a floor length dress the was white with blue ombré.

And with Jake well I don't even know about that.

I walked into the barn after Ashton dropped me off (he insisted on driving me to the barn every evening). I went to the tack room and changed into my boots and put my hair up. I went to Images  stall and lead her to the crossties.

I brushed her and tacked her up. I led her to the ring that had the course that Kate had set up. I walked her up to the mounting block and got on. I collected my reins and put her into a trot. I trotted her around the course so she could get a good view of what she was gonna jump.

I pointed her to the first vertical and counted her strides. She popped over those three easily. Then there was the flower box jump the she wasn't that great at. She shook her head and just hopped over it. She didn't jump over it and it wasn't pretty but she at least cleared it and we would work in the rest later.

She cleared the rest of the jumps perfectly including the large oxer. And of course she bucked when she landed. After we were done I cooled her out and put on her sheet and polos. I walked to the western barn and there in the arena was Jake on his reigner. I rested my arms on the bar and watched him.

His horse moved and did everything Jake asked. He barely touched his reins and barely used any leg and the horse was doing what he asked. Jake finally looked my way and pulled his horse toward me.

The horse was around 16 hands and was white as a ghost. He looked like a quarter horse. "Pretty horse you got there." He smirked. "You wanna ride him?" I slowly shook my head. "Sure." I went around to where the gate was and opened it and walked in. After I closed it I walked to where Jake was holding his horse.

I rubbed under his forelock and smiled. "Hey cutie, what's you name?" I felt a hand in my waist. "It's Pegasus." I smirked. "Like Hercules's horse." He just glared. "Come on fireball." He put his hands on my waist and picked me up and placed me in the saddle.

I scoffed. "I can get on by myself." He smirked. "It's more fun for me that way". I flicked him off. "Well remember he is a reiner so he is neck reined. Just light pressure and he'll do what you ask." I nodded and grabbed the reins with one hand and kept the other one on my leg.

I tapped him a little hard and he took of running. I squealed. Yes I get that I'm a barrel racer but sometimes you still get a little shocked.

Jake was laughing at the gate. "Pull up Paige." I pulled up and he came to a screeching stop and dust went everywhere. I started laughing. This was honestly a good break that I needed.

I looked over and saw Jake standing in the middle of the ring smiling. I kicked Pegasus into a canter and made him go into a sliding stop right infront of Jake. Dirt went everywhere. I laughed and Jake smirked. "Wow you actually have a nice laugh." I glared. He laughed. "There is the Paige I know."

He placed his hands on my hips and pulled me off. He was careful and watched my knee so It wouldn't get worse. He set me down infront of him with his hands still on my hips. And of course I got caught up in those gorgeous blue eyes. "You know I may be crippled but I'm stronger then I look." "I know." He said in his husky southern drawl.

I smirked. I ran my hands from his arms and put them in his back and got impossibly close to him. He tensed but his hands grubbed my hips tighter. I leaned in close with my lips by his ear. "What's stopping you cowboy." I whispered. I pulled away and laughed at the look on his face.