Chapter 7: New Love, Old Hate

He was still thinking over the ending of Lynna's last story. He smirked to himself as he recalled her words: How else did you expect a faerie to fight a dragon? Naturally with the dust from her wings. She was able to tip over the jar and fly up at the enraged dragon and shake some of the dust right into the dragon's eye. So while the dragon, blinded by the dust, flailed about in his cave the faerie escape! Much more effective than a knight's sword, and far more dangerous to the faerie, don't you think?

He had had to restrain himself from chuckling then, even Lynna had been giggling by the end of it. It hadn't meant to be a serious story. She had just invented the tale and had been so excited to tell him it. These past few weeks had been the most peaceful in his memory since he had lost Marian. He had slept, and perhaps that had been the start of the change in his temperament, but slowly he had found himself looking forward to those nights outside Lynna's door.

“Gisborne?” The Sheriff's voice sounded like a distant annoying fly buzz in the background of his thoughts. “Gisborne!” he shouted.

Guy was jolted alert violently by the shout. His arms fell to his sides and he gave his head a slight shake as if to clear it entirely. “I apologize, my lord, I was...”

“Spare me your dithering excuses, Gisborne. I asked you a question.” The Sheriff waved away Guy's apologies furiously.

“What question?” Guy asked.

The Sheriff slammed his hands down upon his desk in frustration at being ignored. “Has Robin been seen in Nottingham?!” he shouted for the third time.

Robin Hood? He didn't want to hear the man's name spoken ever again. The burning hatred and grief still lay just underneath his surface and all it took was Robin's name to ignite it again. “No, my lord.” he growled with a hissing snap like a snake.

The Sheriff muttered a curse under his breath. “What of the guards posted on that runt's door, what'shername...that...”

“Lynna?” Guy supplied the missing name.

“Yes, that brat. They have not seen anything unusual, of suspicion?” The Sheriff demanded.

Guy shook his head in reply, his eyes narrowing in confusion on what the Sheriff was getting to. The Sheriff seemed nonplussed for an instant then a cruel smile covered his face briefly. “So the hero has not come to rescue the girl yet has he? No doubt he's been coming to see her, Gisborne, mark me. Well then, this calls for a test. There is more than one way to judge if Hood has been coming to keep the runt company.” he chuckled even as Guy's anger intensified in his quiet manner.

“What do you intend to do, my lord?” Guy asked.

“Cut off her rations.” The Sheriff said simply.

“What? Why?”

“If Robin Hood is coming to her, then he will no doubt bring her food. If she does die of hunger within the next two months she will have been innocent; at least she will have had that to comfort her in her after life!” He laughed at his own joke.

He knew the Sheriff was serious. He would have no problem letting Lynna die, and there was once a time when he would have turned a blind eye to it, himself; in fact he may have even enjoyed it, but Lynna had given him a bit of peace of mind. There was no crime staining her name. She was innocent; devoid of deception or treachery. He hadn't believed it at first, but he was starting to.

Starvation was a cruel way to die, and she was already so small and sickly. He doubted she would last two weeks let alone two months. If he complied with this, if he went blindly along, it would be as good as if he had killed her himself and he could not live with that guilt again.