Chapter 9: An Opened Door

“Lynna!” Robin said with a ringing laugh as he knocked upon the open door, peering inside. He tilted his helmet up slightly to get a better look. He was troubled by the lack of immediate response. “Lynna?”

No one was in the room. The loom was still sitting in its corner, half of a new row completed. He examined it. He could just begin to make out the castle steps in the tapestry. The grounds were already completed, there was the little bench, the tree, the gates, even two guards standing by. He would have taken more time to admire the half finished work, but Lynna was missing.

He stepped out of the room, resisting the urge to run down the hall. He had to keep his cover. He marched casually down the halls, peering down through the stone archways which overlooked the castle grounds. He was surprised to see Lynna walking the grounds arm and arm with another woman. She was smiling, both of them were, and on occasion; laughing.

“That, is quite a far-fetched tale.” The woman remarked.

“It was my mother's favorite.” Lynna sighed.

“You do not look very faerie like to me.” The woman teased.

“I hide my wings before I wake.” Lynna managed a wink. “It makes for awkward walking, you see.” She tapped her lame leg with the same rueful smile.

There was silence for a time as they walked. Katherine looked at her as she stared up at the archways. Katherine was not sure if she was purposefully avoiding eye contact, or she was comfortable with the silence. Suddenly, Lynna's head snapped back to the ground. Katherine squinted upwards to the archway to see what had caused such a reaction. “Do not look, my lady.” Lynna urged with a tug upon her arm.

“What in the world is the matter?” Katherine asked.

Lynna shook her head and tried to lead Katherine away from the archways. Katherine craned her neck to continue staring upwards. She spotted a guard on one end of the upper hallway, glancing down at them casually. He didn't seem very threatening, so she drew her eyes away from him to roam the other arches; where she spotted her brother watching them with dark, suspicious glares. “He does not look so frightening to me.” Katherine said, shooting a glare of her own back up to her brother before turning back to Lynna.

“He is evil, my lady.” Lynna said in hushed tones.

“How?” Katherine inquired icily.

“I....no, forgive me, my lady, it is not my place to pass judgment on my betters.” Lynna shook her head again.

“Who is to say if he is better than you or me, even?” Katherine snorted in a short laugh.

“But, he is...” Lynna looked to her companion, her face contorted as she tried to work out the technicalities of the situation.

“I have confused you again, it seems.” Katherine sighed.

“Forgive me, my lady.” Lynna mumbled.

“Stop apologizing to me every second.” Katherine snapped.

“Forgive....”

“That was an order from your betters.” Katherine shook Lynna's arm loosely, eliciting a smile from the girl. “Now, tell me about this man.”

“Sir Guy,” Lynna gulped, “He has done things, terrible things.”

“Fine storyteller you are, elaborate. Don't stand on ceremony with me.” Katherine demanded.

“I watched him torture and murder a boy.” Lynna said softly, “and all because the boy spoke out for me. He murders without reason, and...and derives no pleasure from it! He just...does.” Her eyes went surprisingly cold. “He killed my friend's wife. He killed her! All for jealousy, for...for...nothing! He killed her, and took her away and I see my friend hurting all the while and I can do nothing for him! Sir Guy he is...is, like the demons in the stories I tell you.” Lynna looked up at Katherine violently, “Heartless and cruel, without thought or reason. He starves me, mocks me, beats me, and he is always watching me!” She shuddered with disgust. “I hate him!” She said fervently, and Katherine was taken aback by the truth in her words. “I hate him!”