Chapter 2- A not so good surprise

I woke up to sunlight and a hurting neck in a very uncomfortable position.

Why am I on the floor?

I sat up and looked around. Seeing Monica's room, the events of last night hit me like a bulldozer.

Maybe it was all a dream. More like nightmare.

Monica woke up a few minutes later and when she saw me she looked confused before remembering everything.

Scrambling off her bed she came to me and hugged me, whispering "I'm so sorry."
I'd really been hoping that it was all a dream but I guess not.

I felt numb. Yesterday the shock got to me but now it felt like a dream. I just couldn't believe that my parents weren't here in this world anymore.

The thought brought tears to my eyes, I thought I would be all dried up by now from all the crying last night.

"It's fine, I'm fine." Only an idiot would believe that. I sounded so hollow and choking.

After managing to calm down a bit we went downstairs to see Mrs. Chavez (Monica's mom) sleeping on the couch.

Monica winced at the sight, which made me wonder if maybe her mom was waiting for her dad.

"Hey, where's your dad by the way?" I asked Monica.

"I...I have something to tell you, can we go back upstairs?"

I nodded and followed her back to her room. She closed the door and looked at me, taking a deep breath.

"You see I didn't tell you because I just wanted to forget anything was happening. And now with you going through this I'm not sure if..." She trailed off mumbling.

I nodded slowly for her to go on. "I think my dad is cheating on my mom." She blurted out.

My eyes widened to the size of meatballs. "What? But...what do you mean, why do you think that?"

"One night I woke up in the middle of the night and found my mom crying and yelling quietly. He smelled of perfume and had lipstick stains on his neck. I ran up before they saw me. And he's been getting drunk a lot spending the night who knows where. But I can guess that it's with another girl." She said bitterly and sniffed.

"Oh my gosh Mon, why didn't you tell me. You can trust me you know that right?" I asked slightly hurt.

She's always been there for me and I wanted to be there for her too whenever she needed someone to talk to.

"I know, I'm sorry I didn't tell you before it just hurts to see my happy family going down. But enough of this you have it worse. At least I get to still see my parents."

Ouch. It's like she's rubbing it in my face.

But I know she would never do that. She is my friend and she's only trying to understand me, I guess?

Suddenly we heard muffled shouting downstairs, a man's voice slightly louder, and the door slamming closed, followed by footsteps coming up the stairs.

Mrs. Chavez poked her head in and gave us a shaky smile."I'm so sorry about last night, Samantha, I...an officer came last night and told us what happened. Honey I feel terrible, come here."

She gathered me into her arms and hugged me tight. I had a feeling that it had to do with not only my parent's death but whatever had happened downstairs too.

Tears started running down my face no matter how much I tried to keep them in. I didn't want to worry her any more than she had to be.

I pulled away from her after a while wiping my eyes trying to hold in a sob.