Chapter 11- Wishing on a Moon

"Sam, you cut your hair." Deyko said, her eyes wide as she studied me.

"No. I didn't cut my hair." I humored her.

She looked confused. "You didn't? But it looks shorter, it used to be long, up to here." she pointed to her waist.

"You did cut your hair!"

I smiled. "No, I didn't cut my hair, my best friend's mom did."

She thought for a while, then cracked a smile. "Oh, I get it!" she giggled.

"Yeah" I laughed, "I've wanted to say that for the longest time."

"So how'd it go? You went to your house, right? I bet it was sad but happy too, because it was your home."

I smiled bitterly. "Yeah, that's exactly how it was. But my friend was with me and the memories of my old life comforted me."

"Do you think you will ever see them again?"

"Yes, one day, when I go to wherever they are right now."

"And when will that day come? Do you know?"

I shook my head. "I don't think anyone knows when they're going to di- to go see god."

"So then you won't see them again until you go too?"

I started to say yes but stopped. I did know when I would see them again.

"Well..actually I do know. In four days I go to a rosary for them and then.. Their funeral." my voice cracked at the end.

"What are those?"

"It's when you see them one last time and say goodbye to them." I sniffed.

I so wasn't ready for this. What if they expected me to say a speech? I couldn't go in front of people and talk about my parent's greatness. I would break down and cry in front of them.

And I hated crying, especially in public. I felt weak and vulnerable.

Little Deyko tilted her head to the side, wondering.

"I don't remember going to one for my mommy or dad. Well, I said goodbye to my dad, so I guess I didn't have to go to one."

"And you must've been too young to remember going to your mom's."

She shrugged. "I don't even remember her anymore. I wish I would, but all I remember is the smell of her perfume."

I ran to her and picked her up, squeezing her. She was too young to be going through the craziness of this world, alone.

"And I don't want to forget to mine. But your mom must've been a great person to raise such a wonderful little girl." I tried to soothe her.

Honestly, I was terrible at consoling people. I never found the right words and said the right thing.

Deyko sniffed and gave me a watery smile. "We have a Halloween party next weekend. We have one every year but I haven't gone because I'm too young."

I pulled back to look at her. "What do you mean, you're too young? It's not inappropriate is it? I didn't think they would allow something like that."

She laughed. "No! There's two parties: one for kids like me, and another for kids like you. But there's no one my age there, so I don't go."

I nodded my head in understanding. Now that I thought about it, I hadn't seen anyone that was close to her age.

Deyko must get lonely having no one to hang out with.

"No, I don't think I'll go. I'd rather just stay here, or go somewhere else. Maybe I'll hang out with Monica, we could have a girl's night out together."