Chapter 9- Clue Number One

Me and Monica were forced to stay in the living room and wait while the 'professionals' discussed what to do.

And Monica and I discussed that they shouldn't be discussing anything because they needed to open up the doorway instead of wasting time.

Jarred was with them because it was part of his training. And I couldn't be there even though it was part of my life.

It was so unfair. But then again, life was not fair and I new that firsthand.

"Okay ladies, we have come to the decision that we will try and open the metal that is inside the door frame so beware of anything dangerous that might be there." one of the detective criminologist said.

Monica raised an eyebrow. "Like a bomb?"

The guy nodded.

"Or a gun or cannon?"

"Or a unicorn shooting a Skittles rainbow? So you can taste the rainbow!"

Monica laughed. "You and your obsession with all things unicorn."

"Don't forget Skittles! And rainbows." I added as an afterthought.

I turned to the detective criminologist to ask more about the thingie in the door but he was already gone.

Guess he didn't want to know about our ridiculous assumptions.

There was hammering and drilling noises coming from my parent's room and Monica and I remained quiet.

After a while Jones came over to us and gestured for us to follow him. They had managed to break apart the wooden frame and inside was a safe.

My first thought was who sticks a safe inside a frigging door frame?.

Then I remembered that of course my parents would do that.
They would find the most ridiculous, yet safest, place in the house.

The detectives had somehow managed to open it up and inside was a single, small jewelry box.

I looked at the people suspiciously.

"You all didn't take anything, did you?"

Jones laughed. "Of course not, who do you think we are?"

"And who do you think you are, running around leaving scars?"
Monica started singing.

I laughed. She always found a way to cheer me up.

"Alright what do you want to do? We should take them for inspection. Maybe this is what the assasin was looking for." Jarred suggested.

Monica looked at him and sent him a small smile. He smiled back at her and winked.
He winked.

Did I miss something? My ship is finally sailing!

I would have to ask her about it later. For sure. I was her best friend, I needed to know these kinds of things.

Monica turned pink and smiled then turned away. When she saw me I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

Her eyes widened and she turned red. I smirked at her reaction. Yeah there was definetely something going on.

"Sam? What do you think about taking it to inspect it? Is it alright with you?" Jones asked.

"Yeah, I guess." I knew I didn't have a choice, if it provided any hints to the murder of my parents, then of course.

"Perfect. Would you like to see what's in the box first?"

I nodded and reached for the little thing eagerly, hesitating a little. Then I just grabbed it and opened it.