Chapter 17- FOOD

"You know, I like you." Amanda smiled towards me.

So far Amanda had been doing most of the talking. I only talked when necessary, occasionally making a bit of conversation if I felt like it.

"You're serious but also talkative sometimes. It's a weird combination but you make it work. We like it." Eric raised his eyebrows.

My eyes widened. Uh oh. My 'plan' had backfired. I was being, or trying to be, boring so that they wouldn't like me.

But I wasn't serious at all in real life. I was loud and weird and crazy and not at all what they'd expect.

"Oh, Really?" I asked. "I don't know, my friends actually think that I'm kinda...how do I say it? Not serious."

They laughed. "Well they're your friends, of course they would think that, with friends one's crazier."

I shrugged. "I guess so." Great, now they liked me which was what I had been trying to avoid.

"Listen...I know that it was recent, the um, you know..." Amanda reluctantly said.

I clenched my jaw and nodded. Yeah, I knew.

"So we understand if you're not ready for any of this." Amanda went on.

I relaxed and breathed out in relief. Good, they were understanding people and I was thankful for that.

"And you seem like a wonderful girl, but if you are just not really interested in trying to...become part of another family then that's perfectly normal."

I smiled slightly at them and nodded. "Thank you." I muttered. "You are very kind people and I'm sure there's many other girls available that would love to have you as parents."

Amanda and Eric intertwined their fingers and nodded. "So I take it that you'd rather wait a while?"

I looked down and nodded. "I'm sorry, I need some more time that's all."

Eric smiled warmly at me and stood up. "That is perfectly fine. Thank you for the opportunity to get to know you."

He offered his hand to Amanda who took it and got up. "Thank you Sam for everything." she smiled at me.

I gulped and forced a smile back.
"Your welcome. Bye." I called out to them as they were leaving.

After the door closed behind them I let myself fall into a chair and released my breath. Finally.

I didn't want to seem rude but it was true that I didn't exactly want another family. They would practically be a replacement and I knew that that's what they would feel like.

I didn't want to think about this anymore, my head was starting to hurt.

Mrs. Carter stormed inside just then, looking around for Eric and Amanda.

"Where are they? Did they leave already?" I nodded at her.

"Well that didn't take as long as I expected. So either you did really good and they didn't need more convincing to like you, or you did really bad and they just wanted to get out of here." she sat at her chair and laid back, scrutinizing me.

"I hope it was the former, because that would also reflect on the other girls and we don't want to seem like a bad influence." she went on.

I simply shrugged. I honestly didn't know what exactly Amanda and Eric thought of me, or whether I had done good or bad. And I didn't care. I was glad that was over and now all I wanted was to eat some chips or candy and sleep.

"May I be excused?" I asked as I stood up. Mrs. Carter waved her hand, indicating me to go ahead.

I smiled and walked out with a bounce in my step.