CHAPTER 17: Bad Vibes

MEMPHIS

Leylila quickly fell asleep but not before I heard her question. 

I couldn't breath as I waited for her to say something or to roll over and look at me but she was already gone. I traced the outline of her thin shoulders and marveled at how smooth and pure her skin looked. It was as if she had never spent a day out in this unforgiving sun. I lightly played with her golden hair and I wondered if there were others out there that were like her.

Not possible, I thought immediately.

Her question had taken me by surprise and I wondered about it myself. 

Why was I so concerned about her? 

The last few weeks were the most agonizing I had ever had to endure while waiting for word of her, a sighting, a glimpse, anything to show that she was still alive.

 All I did know was that I couldn't let anything happen to her.

A few hours had passed and by now it was mid-afternoon and I stood up restlessly. I hadn't had the pleasure of falling asleep as quickly as Leylila did and I walked over to the balcony and grabbed a cup of wine and looked over my city. I heard a stirring before she finally got up. I didn't turn around as I figured she would want some privacy as the servants had laid out a clean dress for her to wear for the day. The clothes she was found in were quite unusual so I was glad to hear the rustling of fabric and the sound of water being poured into a glass. She then quietly padded over to where I stood on the balcony.

"How long have you been awake?" Lady Stark questioned.

I took in the position of the sun and wondered that myself. "A few hours give or take."

We were both silent, contemplating our own thoughts. I wondered if she had remembered what she asked me last night but by the sight of her at ease mannerisms it seemed likely not.

"You've changed a little, Memphis."

Her words startled me out of my thoughts and I looked at her questioningly. She was staring at the city, not meeting my eyes but I could see that her brow was furrowed deep in a thought that I wasn't allowed to share.

"How so, my Lady?" My voice was husky as I marveled at her beauty. She was quiet captivating even at any angle.

"Do you remember when we first met?" I had a flash of a memory race across my mind as I remembered a slave girl covered in mud flailing around in my arms as I tried to wash her clean so that I may have seen her face properly.

"Ahh yes, I do believe we did not meet as we should have." She nodded her head simply, no doubt hating me for handling her so harshly back then.

But that did feel different, it felt like it had been years, not weeks ago.