CHAPTER 13: Homecoming

MEMPHIS

I had just stepped onto my balcony overlooking the magnificent stairs leading up to my palace when I noticed two figures below me. 

Upon further investigation I realized with a start it was Leylila and Lord Ganzu. A sudden pang of discomfort washed over me as I wondered what they could be discussing this late at night and why Leylila had run away. I was treating her far better than was demanded by her station, and she still rejected my advances. She was mysterious and beautiful but I could never wrap my mind around her... otherness.

I imagined the all mighty Ra had placed her in my life for a reason. And I was about to go down there and figure this out when I saw Leylila struggling against Ganzu. 

"Guards!"

I shouted out to get their attention. They immediately rushed in and I barked orders for them to help Leylila. I was just about to rush off the balcony when I looked down again and saw Leylila had lost her balanced and witnessed Ganzu shoving Leylila down the long expanse of stairs. I cursed loudly and shouted for Leylila but it was futile as she was already falling and the guards were much too late.

It was as if time had slown down and I witnessed my white goddess disappear from time. I quickly snapped out of my daze and rushed from the balcony to meet my guards, not witnessing where she had landed. Upon getting to the stairs I found that Ganzu had fled and Leylila's body was nowhere to be found.

"How could you let him escape?! Go! Find him!" 

Some of the men dispatched and the rest stayed to make sure their Pharaoh was not in any danger himself. Seconds later my right hand, Mendes joined me to find that I was in a state of panic as I could not locate where Leylila had fallen. I was frantically searching everywhere for her, not believing what my eyes had seen.

"Lord Memphis where is Leylila's body? The guards have told me of the attack but shouldn't her body have landed at the bottom of the stairs?"

I looked through every brush and behind the trees but there was no Leylila in sight. I sighed deeply and felt a pang of uselessness as I couldn't get to her in time.

"In theory brother, but it seems Lady Stark has vanished into thin air."

___

LEYLILA

I couldn't feel anything. 

well, not at first... it came in waves. 

First, I could smell. 

It was sandy and smelled of water like the beach. 

Next was touch, I could feel the sand beneath my body and my heavy limbs that I couldn't lift.