Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

Terence stares at me as he waits for some explanations. But nothing, I can’t think of any lie to save myself from future embarrassment.

 “How long will it take for you to talk?” he says impatiently.

I scratch my left eyebrow as I try harder to think when suddenly a pink haired girl comes drops to the floor. “Ow!” she exclaims. Terence is a natural gentleman, so no wonder he’ll go to the girl’s direction and help her stand and he does. The pink haired girl’s left arm is around Terence’s shoulders, while Terence’s strong arm is wrap on the girl’s waist. Right this instant, I feel a slight pinch in my heart, and it irritates me.

 From her looks, she’s not from my district. Sapius only have neutral hair colour – black, brown and blonde. Pink is a hideous colour that only other districts praise. She wears fitted black pants and V-necked polo with carnation rose blazer that compliments her naturally fair skin. The girl’s lips are tinted orange. I never thought that pink and orange is a good combination. She’s too pretty; no doubt she’s from Unda.

“Thanks!” she says to Terence, smiling genuinely. Her voice is as sweet as caramel bar.

“No problem.” Says Terence as natural as possible. We are not used to be thanked by other districts since we don’t really talk to them at all. Traders like me and Terence only do the jobs they want us to do and after that, they pay and that’s all. Money is their form of gratitude.

The girl acts like a wounded bird. I look at her thoroughly, examining her whole body, but there’s no sign of injury except for a little scratch on her left arm. “You don’t look hurt.” I say rudely. I am not jealous, it’s just that it’s a childlike to act as badly hurt even if you’re not. If George is in her situation, he’ll stand up fast and laughs at his own carelessness.

She shifts her sky blue eyes from the train’s sparkling floorboards to me. She looks so innocent making me feel bad about what I said earlier. “I’m not” she says firmly with a wince, removing her arms which have been glued to Terence’s shoulders for minutes.

“It’s fine. Don’t mind her.” says Terence. He looks at me with disbelief and shakes his head, signalling me to stop being rude.

“My apologies, I’m not just used to see someone as feeble as you” I say, mimicking her district’s sophisticated accent.

“Keesha!” shouts Terence.

Tension starts to rise between me and Terence. “I can’t believe it! You’re shouting at me just to defend a Mermaid!”

The other students stare at us curiously, waiting for some action. The Sages start to cheer ‘fight’, they know how short tempered I am and how Terence hates to be shouted in public.

The pink haired girl looks confuse. She clearly doesn’t have any idea what’s going on. She ignited a fight between us, but she still acts as innocent as possible. “I’m not from Unda.” She whispers. The cheers vanish in an instant and murmurs start to fill the train. We are all confused; she looks exactly like a mermaid. Her beauty itself defines her district origin. Maybe she’s just messing with us.

“Where you from?” asks Sirius, who’s enjoying our fight for minutes, I guess.

The girl is trembling. Her hands are shaking badly; I notice she can’t stand straight. That explains her weakling act. Her right ankle is swelling. It must have twisted when she dropped to the ground earlier. “I’m Sara Webster,” she starts.

“I’m not asking for your name” interrupts Sirius.

“Shut up Sirius! Let her speak!” yells Terence, nodding at Sara for continuation.